Cracked Mavic Cosmic Carbone

GarethMorgan
GarethMorgan Posts: 10
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Hi folks

I've been holding onto this Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLE Front Wheel, despite replacing it. Because I'm not sure what to do with it...

The edge of the rim started to flake and crack. It's pretty bad. Does anyone know if its salvageable in any shape or form? Not sure if I should get repaired and keep as a spare or sell to someone who might find a use...

Photos attached:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7q0tdqxbic1m6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9ym5fttt8w59 ... 2.jpg?dl=0

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Buggerred. I wouldn't ride on that.

Turn it into a clock.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Carbon bike repair will give you a quote.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i thought the carbon fairing on those is for aero purposes only and isnt structural to the rim? which is alloy.

if thats the case, then an easy repair.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mamba80 wrote:
    i thought the carbon fairing on those is for aero purposes only and isnt structural to the rim? which is alloy.

You are correct for the older ones that were a carbon fairing on an Ali brake track (it was just a Kyserium with a bit of carbon glued on that would fill with water every time you cleaned the bike or rode it in the rain) but have a feeling it's not the case with these - happy to be proven wrong though
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    mamba80 wrote:

You are correct for the older ones that were a carbon fairing on an Ali brake track (it was just a Kyserium with a bit of carbon glued on that would fill with water every time you cleaned the bike or rode it in the rain) but have a feeling it's not the case with these - happy to be proven wrong though

in the pics, you can see the spoke isnt attached to the carbon bit and just passes through?

if it were me i d contact Rob Hayes, Re-Carb, as you dont really want to rely on some randoms on the IE
  • Thanks every one. Great advice. I’ll seek a quote/spec to repair.

You’re right about the rim. It’s separate to the carbon. And it does fill with water when washing!
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Structurally they're fine - I have a (much older) set I used to use on the turbo where the fairing was pretty well falling to bits. They're basically an Open rim with a cosmetic/aero fairing stuck on. On the other hand, once cracked the fairing will fall to bits (and you don't really want carbon shards going everywhere) so at least tape it up, and better yet get Rob to look at it as others have suggested. www.carbonbikerepair.co.uk.