Forum home Road cycling forum Campaign

Over €15 million euros worth of bikes stolen in two years.

ademortademort Posts: 1,924
edited July 2018 in Campaign
In various Belgian and Dutch media it,s been revealed that in the last two years over €15 million of bikes have been stolen in Vlaanderen alone. Thieves from the former east block countries are targeting the high end €8000 plus bikes and helping themselves in daring raids.At S bikes in Geraardsbergen in the heart of the Ardennes there have been three break ins alone in the last seven months and each time thieves have stolen high end bikes. The last time damage to the property was estimated at €200,000. :shock:
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Posts

  • imagine if they dropped into other countries and started stealing other peoples jobs and houses , and then sent the pay home . After a few years they could sell the house at a profit and go home.
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Who is buying all these dodgy bikes ? If there wasn't the demand they wouldn't be doing it.
  • TashmanTashman Posts: 2,744
    fenix wrote:
    Who is buying all these dodgy bikes ? If there wasn't the demand they wouldn't be doing it.
    never been easier to sell and appear legit. So many selling platforms now
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,026
    Nothing to excuse thieves whatever nationality.... but obviously there is a 'market' that warrants taking risks to steal high end machinery.



    Who'd buy a bike without some kind of provenance, hmmmm?
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    I've never been tempted and I don't know anyone who has got a 'dodgy' bike. Maybe I'm moving in the wrong circles.
  • lostboysaintlostboysaint Posts: 4,369
    fenix wrote:
    I've never been tempted and I don't know anyone who has got a 'dodgy' bike. Maybe I'm moving in the wrong circles.

    Or simply have morals.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • sungodsungod Posts: 12,696
    imagine if they dropped into other countries and started stealing other peoples jobs and houses , and then sent the pay home . After a few years they could sell the house at a profit and go home.

    presumably you mean brits abroad, seems a bit harsh
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungodsungod Posts: 12,696
    jgsi wrote:
    ...
    Who'd buy a bike without some kind of provenance, hmmmm?

    well, there's all the people buying bikes (and other stuff) off gumtree

    from gumtree's own site http://help.gumtree.com/articles/Genera ... vice-Pages
    That’s why we encourage customers to meet buyers or sellers in a public place in daylight – and to take a friend.

    translation: "we know criminals are using our site to flog stolen stuff, but we're not going to bother with any kind of identity verification as it'd put them off, if you come a cropper it's your own fault"

    one of my bikes was stolen and fenced on gumtree same day, by a seller using a payg sim, same number was used with multiple names (male and female) to advertise multiple bikes, let's see, could these ads be iffy, duh, gumtree refused to take them down
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,571
    Well, I sincerely hope they are paying VAT on the sales.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,571
    sungod wrote:
    jgsi wrote:
    ...
    Who'd buy a bike without some kind of provenance, hmmmm?

    well, there's all the people buying bikes (and other stuff) off gumtree

    from gumtree's own site http://help.gumtree.com/articles/Genera ... vice-Pages
    That’s why we encourage customers to meet buyers or sellers in a public place in daylight – and to take a friend.

    translation: "we know criminals are using our site to flog stolen stuff, but we're not going to bother with any kind of identity verification as it'd put them off, if you come a cropper it's your own fault"

    one of my bikes was stolen and fenced on gumtree same day, by a seller using a payg sim, same number was used with multiple names (male and female) to advertise multiple bikes, let's see, could these ads be iffy, duh, gumtree refused to take them down

    Did you and your friend Mr Baseball Bat go and get it back?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • I think taking Lord Buckethead's approach makes sense: give a free bike to everyone; that way, no one needs to steal one :)
  • thistle_(mbnw)thistle_(mbnw) Posts: 3,899
    I think taking Lord Buckethead's approach makes sense: give a free bike to everyone; that way, no one needs to steal one :)
    I missed that on his manifesto.
    Is he running the Evans trade in scheme? If Evans give all the locals a free bike maybe they'll stop stealing them from the shop :roll:
  • CitizenLeeCitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    imagine if they dropped into other countries and started stealing other peoples jobs and houses , and then sent the pay home . After a few years they could sell the house at a profit and go home.

    The Daily Mail is that way mate =>
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
Sign In or Register to comment.