A2 project bike stand - Feedback would be appreciated

clarg120
clarg120 Posts: 2
edited October 2017 in Road general
Hi all,

For my A level product design coursework I am designing and manufacturing a custom bike stand.

I would really appreciate some feedback regarding the following:
1) Do you think aesthetic appearance is key to the end user?
2) is there any features you feel current bike stands lack that they should have?
3) How do you think current bike stands should be made more portable?
4) would it be appealing if the stand could attach to cars/roof bars/ surfaces and then therefore be used at events for quick maintenance?

Any feedback would be great, this is all in aid of my research phase before designing and manufacturing the product.

Thank you,
Giles

Comments

• I have a standard Park work stand.

1- possibly - i feel that function is most important but dont see why a design cant then be engineerd with aesthetics in mind
    2 - would prefer a quicker clamp on the Park, the jaws have to be quite open to take a frame but then need quite a fewturns to secure the bike, 9kg road bike not too much of an issue but a 15kg plus MTB can be awkward
    3Again park stand - has a 1.5m main pole. apart from folding legs it is not really portable.
    Something folding or telescopic but with the same rigidity would be of interest
    4 free standing is fine even for events - I cant see a time when I would need to attache it to something instead. A tow ball mounted combined single carrier come work stand would be interesting. Id want to be able to transport the bike as securely as a standard tow ball carrier but then be able to attache the bike via the seat post and seat tube - to give high and low positions- for working on.