11speed cassette on DT Swiss hub

lesfirth
lesfirth Posts: 1,382
edited October 2017 in Workshop
I first taught myself to fix bikes when I was about 15. That was a long time ago. After an engineering apprenticeship I spent my working life fixing things in the car trade. I thought when it came to fixing things I was premier league. For the first time in my life I bought a new complete bike and before I took it on the road decided to change the cassette from 11/28 to 11/32.
When I removed the original cassette I noted that the lock ring was not a lot more than finger tight. Removed the cassette and put the new one on however I could not get the lock ring to fit .It was as if I had a spacer on the hub that was not needed. I took it off checked all I could think of over and over again and then tried to refit the original. I had the same problem.
Three days later and countless attempts at fitting both cassettes I was actually considering going to a LBS! I thought senility was taking a hold.I could not believe I was struggling with such a simple job.
I finally removed a spacer,fitted the lock ring and compressed the cassette a bit, and then carefully fitted the spacer and two small cogs.Then I could just get the lock ring thread to start. It all looks OK but I dare not tighten the lock ring fully .
The cassette is 105 Shimano 11 speed. The hub is DT Swiss. Anyone have a similar problem? I also noticed that the lock ring has a thin shim over the cogged bit. What is that for?

Comments