Shimano Power Meter

trivial_poursuivant
trivial_poursuivant Posts: 1,136
edited October 2017 in Road general
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/accessories/power-meters/product/shimano-dura-ace-r9100-p-power-meter-review-51582/

Shimano have finally released details of their power meter. I wonder how long it will be before we see bikes sold with a power meter as standard. With Shimano's reputation for trickle down technology, its not unfathomable that a cut down (possibly left side only) version will begin to appear on new bikes ready built.

When you control the groupset market share of much as Shimano do, it would make a lot of sense to bundle one with a pre built setup. In doing so they could even knock another 20% off the price if already fitted to a bike. Never mind Stages or 4iiii, this could really be the game changer that brings power to the masses.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think it will have to come down a lot more than that to go mainstream...
  • There is more to cycling than staring at power data
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Fenix wrote:

Remember this is the DA version. The chainset alone is
    350 quid . Once they trickle down to Ultegra and if they did a one sided version it is quite possible it could be a lot more affordable, and if they did put them on bikes readily made then they can push them out cheaper. It ain’t going to happen overnight but it’s quite possible.

As for staring at power meters, Zwift and the like are getting more popular. Many people buy a meter for training purposes. Not everyone but there is a growing market.
  • There is more to cycling than staring at power data

And staring at power data in training can make that more enjoyable. Can, not will.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I think you're being a bit optimistic if you think Shimano are going to start including affordable power meters with groupsets at all pricepoints or that this is going to bring about any kind of transformation to the market.

I recall reading a couple of years back Decathlon saying that they expected electronic groupsets to soon be going mainstream (and indeed there are plenty of fans that would like that to happen) but in practice Shimano have shown no interest in bringing Di2 down to an affordable pricepoint, given the entry level remains Ultegra at a price comparable to mechanical Dura Ace.

This is just a me-too product, and it's fair to say that it appears to have a premium price tag by virtue of the recognisable brand.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I'd be half interested if it was half the price.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    this could really be the game changer that brings power to the masses.

Calm down Mystic Meg.

The only news here at the moment is that a major groupset manufacturer has released a not very aggressively priced powermeter.
  • mfin wrote:

Calm down Mystic Meg.

The only news here at the moment is that a major groupset manufacturer has released a not very aggressively priced powermeter.

It’s a debate, it’s for others to give an opinion. Yours if not worth the discussion since you’re just a troll . So move along .
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    2%?

Makes it pointless IMO, the competition are more accurate and cheaper?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • foggymike wrote:

This is something Shimano are more likely to do than many other manufacturers. They can cover a larger market share since the vast majority of bikes already have their components already. It’s only a possibility, people on here are so ready to nay say and dismiss . Such closed minded people but hey, it’s a thought that if any company can Shimano can.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If they could do it for a reasonable price they'd smash the market. But £1200 on top of the chainset price ? Way too much.
    I'm a bit disappointed that they haven't done better on their pricing.
  • okgo wrote:
    2%?

So at an average power output of 300 watts. 3 watts either way is making it pointless? More realistic a lot of people are closer to 200-250 watts so a discrepancy of 2-2.5%.

I doubt even Chris Froome gives a sh1t about that level of accuracy.
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

Calm down Mystic Meg.

It’s a debate, it’s for others to give an opinion. Yours if not worth the discussion since you’re just a troll . So move along .

Eh? TW said the same pretty much, and you're the only one drawing the conclusions you're drawing.
    foggymike wrote:

This is something Shimano are more likely to do than many other manufacturers. They can cover a larger market share since the vast majority of bikes already have their components already. It’s only a possibility, people on here are so ready to nay say and dismiss . Such closed minded people but hey, it’s a thought that if any company can Shimano can.

Shimano could aggressively price it yes, they might have the power to do so, but, like I said, they haven't. So it's just a "could" and that's that. You can't say it's based on anything but.
  • mfin
    edited October 2017
    okgo wrote:
    2%?

So at an average power output of 300 watts. 3 watts either way is making it pointless? More realistic a lot of people are closer to 200-250 watts so a discrepancy of 2-2.5%.

That would be 1% accuracy thought wouldn't it.

Now, before you say I can't do maths and 3watts x2 is 6 watts that is not how it works. It could read 294 watts and be 2% out or 306 watts and be 2% out.

It says +/- 2% accuracy not +/- 1% accuracy.

Consistency is more important than accuracy of course, but we don't know much about any of that yet, or reliability, so don't buy into the marketing too much yet.
  • Fenix wrote:
    If they could do it for a reasonable price they'd smash the market. But £1200 on top of the chainset price ? Way too much.
    I'm a bit disappointed that they haven't done better on their pricing.

Agree but it is early days and they do have a habit of trickle down tech and dropping prices. Eventually it may become more competitive and as I say if it’s bundled with a new bike more off. Look at the price of a full groupset bought separately compared to if it’s already on a bike. If you tried to build a bike up with brand new components you will end up spending way over what a complete bike costs with the same parts. If Shimano were to ship them bulk to bike manufacturers then they can sell them a lot cheaper. I wouldn’t be surprised if they started doing so and top end bikes and then slowly offer them on decreasingly prices models.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Fenix wrote:

Remember this is the DA version. The chainset alone is 350 quid.

True, but the power meter version is ~£1200 (£1500 RRP as far as I can tell) so that's something like a three-to-four fold markup on an already premium-priced product! :shock:

To be honest I can't see them shipping many at those prices. I'm an unashamed Shimano fanboy but they're just not offering anywhere near enough to be charging that much in today's market, especially as a new and as-yet-unproven entrant to a notoriously tricky market.

I mean even the new Garmin Vectors are only £850 and let's be honest, Garmin bleed every last penny that they think they can out of their customers; how Shimano think they can charge £1200 is beyond me.

As someone alluded to above with Di2, I think Shimano will see more benefit in keeping this as a "premium-tiered" product for some years yet to come.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Shimano are never going to be the people to compete aggressively on power meters. That niche is pretty much filled. I also doubt that Shim would do a one sided power meter given the potential inaccuracy that brings, doesn’t really fit their brand. What they’ve done is bring a discrete PM at a nice weight as a market option. I think the price needs a hair cut but the weight enables a slight premium to be charged.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I'd take the £1200 with a pinch of salt to be honest.

Everything Shimano is always available with 25-50% discount within a couple of months of launch at all the internet retailers. I think the power meter will be closer to the 25% than the 50% mark as with most Dura ace, but that still puts it at the £900 mark and competitive with Vectors and the like.

I think I'd still much rather have Vector 3s due to the easy portability, but then you do get a Dura ace crankset so each to their own. And if / when there is an Ultegra version at a third less still, then it will be quite reasonable compared with anything on the market.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    okgo wrote:
    2%?

Meh. Competition have managed better accuracy for far less money.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    okgo wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    2%?

Meh. Competition have managed better accuracy for far less money.

It's a different market. The price will drop but ultimately this will be an OEM supplied PM at a slightly higher price point than the aftermarket boys. So to the average punter they can buy a bike fully fitted with Shim including PM, warranty in one place and no hassle. For a couple of hundred quid premium other the alternative of sourcing your own power meter, fitting it yourself, or traipsing back to an LBS, and having multiple places to go if problems come. Most people are going to take the easy route.