Thoughts on going 105 groupset or going for disc brakes?

jaywbuk
jaywbuk Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

Currently buying new commuter bike and after a few close calls I am quite keen on getting disc brakes. I owned (pre-theft) this B'TWIN TRIBAN 540 ROAD BIKE, GREY/BLACK - 105 that I loved. My new option is Verenti Technique Tiagra Disc (2017) Road Bike Blue/Black. Has TRP Spyre Mechanical, a touch heavier too. Anyone got any thoughts they'd like to share. FYI my budget is up to £700 (+-50).
Many thanks in advance

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Either get hydro disc brakes or stick with v brakes.

Mechanical discs IME require to much adjusting, pad replacement etc....
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    The Spyres are ok but not amazing. In the dry I much prefer rim brakes.

If you can manage it, try to stretch your budget to something with full hydro discs. You'll not regret it in the long term, plus if you get mechanical discs there is currently no cheap way to upgrade to hydros.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    if you commute ALL year round come rain or shine I would opt for the discs over 105 ..... I rate my crappy BB7 on the single speed above any of my rim combos when it comes to downpours .. but I have a lot of hills to get over on my commute so am forever on the brakes in the wet
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    If you loved your triban, why not get another?
  • Only reason wavering on getting the Triban again is because from what I've read disc brakes are better. Having read the above though, hydraulics seem to be the way forward and bikes with those are out of my budget from the research I've done so far
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    jaywbuk wrote:
    Only reason wavering on getting the Triban again is because from what I've read disc brakes are better. Having read the above though, hydraulics seem to be the way forward and bikes with those are out of my budget from the research I've done so far

Hunt around. Now is a good time to be buying. You may have to stretch the budget a bit but not much.

105 and disc brakes...
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eastway-zener-a ... ad-bike-1/

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/373880/p ... -grey.aspx
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -team-bike
    Bit more money but if you have Cycling uk membership you can get an extra 10% off.Full hydro brakes.It has the SRAM 1x gears giving you equivalent of a 12-32.It’s all the gears you need for a commuter.Takes Full mudguards. I can’t fault mine,handles really well and a comfy ride,lots of good reviews about it.
  • Thanks all, think the Eastway Zener looks like the way forward on this! Anyone any experience with this own-brand?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    A friend of mine bought one about, 18 moths ago I think. He's very happy with it. It's not a disc brake model, the frame looks to be reasonable quality and they are a good price. It's even full 105, they haven't saved money by sticking a cheap FSA crankset with a bottom bracket made of cheese on it.
  • jaywbuk wrote:
    Only reason wavering on getting the Triban again is because from what I've read disc brakes are better. Having read the above though, hydraulics seem to be the way forward and bikes with those are out of my budget from the research I've done so far
    Better for what?
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with rim brakes, do not believe the hype that you NEED them especially on a road bike.
    If you want them and can afford them, fine then buy a bike with hydraulic discs, otherwise just buy what you fancy or can afford.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're considering the Eastway at £840, it's not much of a stretch to the Planet X London Road. Their SRAM Rival 1 x 11 incarnation with SRAM hydraulic brakes comes in at £899

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRI ... -road-bike

There is a long thread in the "Your Road Bikes" sub-forum if you want comments from actual users.

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860
  • I have moved to disc brakss with 28mm tyres recently. So much better i would never go back. Better braking, more confidence and safer in the wet.
  • Thanks all, going for the Planet X lots of good feedback from so many sources and it looks ideal for what's needed. Thank you arlowood!