Gear barrel adjuster issue

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

Been having trouble with the shifting on the chainrings. After some 'tinkering' I found that cable tension needed tightening up, which I did with the barrel adjuster on the levers and that sorted it.. for a while. It seems that the barrel adjuster is loosening itself off whilst I'm riding... Rode 17 miles last night and had to tighten it up again twice during the ride.

I guess I can try and get the cable tighter using the clamp on the derailleur, but it'll probably still need 'tweaking' with the barrel adjuster, and surely they shouldn't just undo themselves??

Anyone got any suggestions?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have downtube adjusters on one bike. They don't move on their own. I have some in-line Shimano ones on the other bike and they too stay put (fitted them because the frame won't take the downtube ones and I like being able to fine tune while riding).

I've heard that some cheap ones have a tendency to loosen, as did the built in ones on the kids' cheaper bikes' shifters / levers. Maybe give the Shimano in-line ones a go?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isn't there a locking ring?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Take off old cables, smash with hammer and throw into next door's garden.

Fit new cables with no inline adjuster and just set up using the barrel adjuster on the rear mech.

Alternatively, it could just be that the threads are knackered so drop a blob of threadlick on there when adjusting - it'll hold them in place but still allow manual adjustment.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Thought the reference to chainrings meant the OP was faffing with the front mech?
  • Matthewfalle
    Then just set up non inline cables/front mech as normal?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I don't bother with barrel adjusters for the front mech so just screw it down and pull the cable tight at the FD with pliers. If it's too tight the trim won't work correctly, and if it's too loose you will be able to move the mech more by tugging the cable at the downtube. Aim for somewhere in between! I find cage alignment is more important than exact cable tension for good shifting at the front.
  • Matthewfalle
    bobones wrote:
    I don't bother with barrel adjusters for the front mech so just screw it down and pull the cable tight at the FD with pliers. If it's too tight the trim won't work correctly, and if it's too loose you will be able to move the mech more by tugging the cable at the downtube. Aim for somewhere in between! I find cage alignment is more important than exact cable tension for good shifting at the front.

That's what that MF bloke said innit?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Schoie81
    Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Going to replace the bar tape this winter so while I'm at it I'll replace the cables too and set it all up again. Will try and tighten the cable at the clamp to help with the next few weeks until she goes into hibernation.

Thanks again.
  • Schoie81
    Just to update... slackened the barrel adjuster right off and tightened the cable up at the clamp on the derailleur and that's obviously solved the problem!!
  • Matthewfalle
    Coolio! Trouble free miles here you come :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.