Replacing front fork

Lotstolearn
Lotstolearn Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I’m looking to convert my old 2013 Giant Talon 0 29er to a commuter for work and was looking to replace the RockShox Recon Gold 100mm fork the bike currently has with a rigid front fork.

Having had a quick look online for options, would the Surly 1x1 00mm fork work for me? Or are there better options available?

I’m no expert so any advice you have would be appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You need to match the steerer tube of the fork with whatever headtube you have (straight or tapered) and roughly get the same axle to crown length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Or post links to the bike and fork.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why do you want to change the fork? What benefit do you hope to achieve?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Fitting a rigid fork instead of a suspension one is bound to save some weight, no? Might be able to sell on the old sus one too? Or maybe it's knackered?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Mosso forks (see eBay) are great in an MTB used for commuting, expect to save somewhere around 1.25-1.75Kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the comments so far.

Yeah I'm looking to replace it to save some weight and improve efficiency.

This is the bike I'm working to modify https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/talon-29er-0-2013

And this is the fork I stumbled across online https://www.cyclescience.co.nz/product/1109435
  • cooldad
    Bike's a 29er, forks are 26. So probably not.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    You'll need an axle to crown of around 470mm for a twenty niner with 100mm forks (450mm works for a 26'er with 100mm forks but you notice a slight drop in height and slightly more squirrelly steering). The bike you pictured looks like it has a straight headtube (not bulged at the bottom) so probably takes a straight steerer fork, with is something else to take into consideration. Check out some of the carbon forks from Exotic, with come in all lengths and tube types.

Something like this meets your criteria..