Which front shocks should i go with?

acf8181
acf8181 Posts: 14
edited October 2017 in MTB general
Just bought a Giant Trance (second hand) that has had front shocks changed to Rockshox TK Gold 120mm, but also have original spec shock that is Fox 32 Evolution CTD 140mm. Other difference is the Rockshox is standard QR and the Fox is through axle.

Would like opinions on which would be best to continue with?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Forks.....not front shocks!

The Fox, the RS fork is too short for the frame and will ruin the handling. Take off, stick on evil bay.

I guess you'll need a new wheel and possibly through axle?

I'd check everything else if that is representative of their ability to correctly maintain a bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Evolution CTD series Fox forks were absolutely terrible. The Rockshox is too short to get the best out of the bike.
    I'd sell both and get either a Rockshox Revelation or Pike. However, I seem to remember that the original fork has an odd size steerer which won't fit any other bike.
  • The Rookie
    The 2014 is an odd steerer size (OD2) the 2015 is overdrive (standard tapered).

However some bikes ran a normal steerer and headset to suite, so it will need to be measured.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • acf8181
    acf8181 Posts: 14
    It's a tapered steerer.

Maybe i should have phrased the question.....which is the lesser evil for now?

Suppose i could try the Fox out, if i bought a third set of forks at some point i'd want the through axle anyway so a new wheel is worth buying now.
  • The Rookie
    The Fox is the only one you should be riding right now, the RS is just all wrong for the frame.