Compressionless housing worth it ?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited October 2017 in Workshop
So my rear brake (Avid BB5) is quite spongy and whilst I can slow down I feel there is more power to give. I know how to setup the brakes so I have tried the usual stuff i.e cleaning the rotor with alcohol, New pads (properly bed in) and I have also changed both the inner and outer cable making sure the rear cable housing has very few bends - Even then I am making the bends as gradual as possible. The rear brake is housed through the full length (i.e no cable stops etc).

Just about to pull the trigger on some Jagwire Pro Ripcord compressionless housing in an effort to remove some of the spongy feeling.

Is it worth it?

Comments

• mr_eddy
    P.s I have also tried a brand new rotor that I had spare but still the spongy feeling remains.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Yes, there is some improvement, but if you are looking for that bite you should try the expensive brake pads (20/pair) and try to adjust them as close to the rotors as possible.
  • mr_eddy
    Ok thanks - I am a little reluctant to get new pads just yet as I have just bought 2 sets of new after market pads (decent ones not cheap stuff either).

I have done a bit more research and I have found lots of user reviews on MBR about people upgrading their BB7's with ripcord with lots of success so it should follow that the BB5's should benefit.

Will report back

Thanks
  • mr_eddy
    I did contemplate a 2nd hand set of TRP hy/rd but gonna give the fancy cable a shot first.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Definitely worth it, although you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune - there is a lifeline compressionless brake kit on wiggle which also works well, although it is hard to route and heavy.
  • mr_eddy
    Just an update - I fitted the Jagwire Ripcord cabling set (£20) and the difference is night and day! I now have so much more modulation, I accidentally locked up the rear wheel the other day whilst seated and with a 10kg backpack on - I have also nearly gone over the bars when some drunk nutter fell into the road!

I have now got a bit more used to the much improved power.

I will never run a bike without compression-less cabling again.

V. Happy!
  • I have TRP Spyres on my TCX and was underwhelmed with the performance. Swissstop pads and Yokozuna Reaction cables vastly improved them, both in terms of power and modulation. Still not close to as good as Shimano hydros on my road bike.