4iiii Ultegra Power meter... faulty?

Hendrix2430
Hendrix2430 Posts: 119
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
hello all,

I recently received a 4iiii ultegra single sided power meter, and I Am wondering if it is faulty in any way. For what it’s worth I have been using a 105 unit on another bike without issues, but I didn’t install it myself.

Whilst I haven’t installed the new 4iiii crank yet, I did try to pair it to save time (by shaking it...). It was unsuccessful with the 4iiii app. It is however recognised by strava of the wahoo app. If the 4iiii app doesn’t recognise it then I can’t calibrate or zero it unfortunately.

Another strange thing I’ve noticed is that there is a faint sound coming from inside the crank. It sound like there is a small object lodged in there that moves around when moving the crank. Not sure if that’s normal but I don’t remember my 105 crank having this. This might explain why I can’t connect it to the 4iiii app...been trying to contact 4iiii regarding this issue but haven’t recieved a reply.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and can comment?

Cheers

Comments

• wahla21
    wahla21 Posts: 96
    h

Another strange thing I’ve noticed is that there is a faint sound coming from inside the crank. It sound like there is a small object lodged in there that moves around when moving the crank. Not sure if that’s normal but I don’t remember my 105 crank having this. This might explain why I can’t connect it to the 4iiii app...been trying to contact 4iiii regarding this issue but haven’t recieved a reply.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and can comment?

Cheers

I just got my Ultegra one too and I had the same noise from inside the crank, sounds like a little stone or something is inside.
    I've however not had any issues with pairing mine to the 4iiii app, Strava, Garmin or Zwift...
    Maybe try to install the crank and try to pair it with the 4iiii app once correctly installed?
  • Yes exactly, like a small stone inside the crank. I haven’t had time to install it but will do in the next couple days.

It might be that, since I already have a 4iiii power meter saved into the app (and is showing when I start the app as disconnected), it is not « seeing » the new power meter. I may try to unlink the 105 Power meter from the app to see if that makes a difference
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    You need to forget any power meter previously connected to the app for it to find a new one to pair.

I only use the app for updates though as you can calibrate through a gps computer.
  • redvision wrote:
    I only use the app for updates though as you can calibrate through a gps computer.

As with pretty much any legitimate meter. You always need to cal through the gps before a ride as offset can be affected by temperature and other things.

Also, when "waking" a crank meter, pretty sure it's the cadence sensor passing the left chainstay that should reliably do that.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    I picked one of these up in a shop and it had the shakey rattle thing. I assumed it was the accelerometer which does the cadence thing - probably a little ball bearing in a tube? I read a post somewhere about this where someone from 4iiii said they should be silent and the rattle was probably the fitting bolt and it would go once fitted. It didn't sound like that to me though. Either way you won't hear it on the bike and I don't think it's anything to do with your pairing issues.