Advice on Shimano 11 speed trigger shifter compatibility

andylav
andylav Posts: 308
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on options for Shimano 11 speed rapid fire / trigger style shifters please

Wanting to upgrade my wife's hybrid to 11 speed with 105 5800 mechs, cassette and brakes that I already have available but need to source a suitable set of shifters.

Understand the RS700 is sold as a 105 / Ultegra level shifter for hybrid / flat bar road bikes but it doesn't have indicator pods that I know my wife likes on her current set up.

Been out of mountain biking for a long time so unsure if current XT or SLX shifters are compatible - product info seems to suggest not as they are marketed as Dyna-Sys11 only (which I'm guessing is a particular rear mech style to accommodate wider MTB cassette ratio spread) - but I would welcome some read world advice to confirm either way please.

Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Shimano 11s road and MTB components are not compatible with each other unless you use a device such as the Shiftmate 8 to convert the lever pull. If you want to use the 5800 RD then get the RS shifters.
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    Many thanks Nick - really grateful for the confirmation (and the advice on the Shiftmate option).