Swapping Shimano 2300 chainring for something a bit more modern

millert
millert Posts: 9
edited October 2017 in Workshop
Dear all,

I've had the Shimano 2300 system on my Raleigh airlite 100 for near 5/6 years now, the pedal thread on my left pedal has sheared and so I'm looking to replace the whole chainset (chain and cranks).

I'm assuming if I want to move onto one of the newer Shimano chainsets (tiara,claris,105) that I will need to change the bottom bracket type from (what I believe to be) 7420 square taper to hollow tech II? Am I correct.

Also the Shimano 2300 system is 8 speed, does it matter if I get a 9 10 or 11 speed chainset, or will I have to change the chain and therefore cassette and shifters and derailleurs making this not worthwhile.

Finally if all the above is correct, what tools would I need, would I be able to carry out the replacement myself (I have a pretty limited tool selection.

Kind Regards and Thanks in Advance!
Toby

Comments

• bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    You'll need a crank puller and the appropriate cartridge bottom bracket removal tool to remove the chainset and square taper BB. To install the new BB, you'll need a cup tool of the appropriate size to install the HTII cups and another for the preload nut on the chainset: sometimes these are combined into the same tool. You'll also need appropriate hex wrench to install the chainset. A rubber mallet also comes in handy if the chainset won't seat or release easily.

8, 9, 10 and 11 speed chains all have the same inner dimensions so they'll all work to an extent, but there may be excess noise if the chain is a bit too wide. I'd perhaps run a 9 or 10 speed chain on your 8 speed cassette, which might run a bit more quietly than an 8 speed chain on the new chainset. If you're changing the chain you'll need a chain tool to remove the old chain and get the new one to the correct length.

If you don't have all the tools then perhaps get your LBS to remove the old chainset and BB and just buy the tools to install the new BB cups as you'll probably want to do this yourself at sometime in the future.

Some people say that your BB shell should be chased and faced (clean threads cut and outer shell faces cut to parallel alignment) before installing external BB cups for the first time, and this requires tools that only a really good LBS will keep in shop. Most modern frames are built accurately enough not to require this though.
  • Wow, an extremely quick response with a very thorough answer! Thank you so much for being so helpful!