ajkerr73 Posts: 318
Did anyone from here do it?

Interested for next year.

Any feedback/pointers?

Comments

• Ed F
    Ed F Posts: 79
    Yep. Did it on Sunday.

The Muro di Sormano is probably the hardest climb you will ever do unless you have climbed the Angliru or Zoncolan. 2km averaging 16% with ramps of 27%, all after 5km of climb before it at 7%. I did it with 34/25 gearing but you really need a 28 or 30 on the back if you don't want to be walking it.

As a whole the granfondo did not quite live up to its billing. Free jerseys was promised for the first 1000 entries but these never materialised. Roads were not closed, although some junctions were marshalled. This was not really a problem for the first half of the ride, but on the way back to Como after the descent from the Muro there was fairly heavy traffic which caused hold ups through some of the villages. And the finish in Como after coming down from the Civiglio turned out to be a farce with the signs to the finish going AWOL and loads of people including myself missing a crucial turn to the finish line and instead having to navigate our own way through traffic jams in the town centre to find the finish line.

However this was the first year, and with better organisation next year it will no doubt be better. And it is probably best not to stop and stay as close as you can to the front of the ride to take advantage of the better marshalling afforded to those doing it as a serious race. The area is really beautiful and it would be up there with the best if it was car-free.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Hi

Thanks for the reply (and sorry for the delay in replying!)

Do you have the web address for entry? (Or did you use one of the “package” companies)?

Also, any tips on airports from UK and what areas to look at for accommodation?

Cheers

Andy
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    I did it a few years back (50th birthday). It stopped for a while but is now back. great day out and started at a sensible time (9am). I just got an entry online, paid the money and collected the documents the day before the event. I stayed in a hotel 1 minute from the start/finish line and took the train from Milan airport (2 airports in Milan) up to Como (had to change trains). Hotels are plentiful at Como and cover all budgets. Spent a few days out there before the lombardia race and the sportive. Some epic riding to be done out there