Bibs suitable for long rides...

BchrisW
BchrisW Posts: 5
edited October 2017 in Road general
So, I've always worn shorts. But the two pairs of shorts I have right now tend to leave a nice rub mark on my hind parts, where the chamois meets the lycra panel. So I figur now is the time to try some bibs. I need suggestions. What do you ride in, how confortable are they, how's the pad/chamois, are they good enough for century rides?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They're just as comfy as shorts. Same pads as far as I can tell. I just wear them when it's cold.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    La Passione classic bibs for me. Not as stunning value as they used to be, but easily up to a century.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Whats your budget?

I suffer from sores and arse discomfort after 2.5 hours, had castelli free aero race shorts that literally fell apart and saddleback would not warranty them, so binned them off and bought some Rapha classic and core bibs when they had 25% off. Still bloody expensive but with chamois cream i can ride for hours now and have done century rides with them.

But some people can do that in £30 DHB's.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Assos. Expensive but worth it. Have ridden for entire days and not felt any chaffing and never needed any chamois cream.

Every backside is different though. I don't get on with Rapha (just as expensive!). Bought a set of the new Classics and the pad just moves around too much as the lycra is too stretchy despite me going down a size.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I find DHB ones comfy enough to do 4/5 hours (ASV ones though)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    Pactimo every time for me.
  • Alé PRR Agonista bibs for me. They're described as a "racing" fit but I find them incredibly comfy. I do around 150 miles a week in them and did a century ride a couple of weeks back with no chafing at all.

I'm a huge fan of Alé kit in general - as long as the somewhat challenging colour schemes are to your tastes it's superbly made gear for a lot less money than some other "premium" brands.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I did 9 days touring in a pair of DHB Aerons, no problems at all (aside from being one of the most disgusting things I have ever done). They've done lots of very long day rides and haven't let me down either. I do, however, use lots of anti chaffing cream if I know I'm out for a long time due to bad experiences with my old Lusso bibs which have now been burned to death. My Castelli bib tights are amazingly comfortable too but I've not managed any 10 hour winter epics in them yet...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The ones that fit you the best. The DHB Aeron and Roubaix and the Pearl Izumi work for me. Endura FS is good as well. Others have been terrible. Trial and error I'm afraid.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Lusso
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I always get on well with Funkier kit - its pretty cheap as well.
  • daniel_b
    La Passione have a sale on at the mo - some shorts on sale for circa £62 - spend over £100 and it's free postage.

Pactimo have already been mentioned, and if you have a long enough torso they will be fine, but alas my torso is pretty short in comparison to leg length, and the straps were not tight enough even in a small :-(

Guess their straps are not as stretchy as some other makes.
    Alé PRR Agonista bibs for me. They're described as a "racing" fit but I find them incredibly comfy. I do around 150 miles a week in them and did a century ride a couple of weeks back with no chafing at all.

I'm a huge fan of Alé kit in general - as long as the somewhat challenging colour schemes are to your tastes it's superbly made gear for a lot less money than some other "premium" brands.

LOVE Alé jerseys, not been brave enough to try their shorts yet, but good to hear they work for you.
    Personally I am a huge fan of their colourschemes :D
    And their jerseys fit me, better than any other make.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I have Lusso, Merlin own brand, DHB and some other I can't remember, can't really tell the difference. Only ever use chamois cream ( well, sudocrem actually!) if it's an all dayer, over 6 hours.
    Can I ask why you think bibs will be better? I've come to the conclusion that there are no advantages to bibs, even ignoring the inconvenience of what to do at toilet time... Most people claim bibs prevent builders bum but in my experience lycra shorts don't gape anywhere anyway. Bibs cause me grief with my heart rate strap and can cut into your shoulders.
  • daniel_b
    I used to wonder what the fuss was about bib shorts, having just worn normal shorts, but it really was for me (*And I suspect 91.7% of cyclists) another level of comfort.

Firstly you do not get the waistband cutting in, and secondly if you get a good fitting pair, with tight enough shoulder straps, it keeps the pad perfectly in place - without straps, for me the pad would categorically not stay in position, and all the associated discomfort that goes along with it.
    Could be down to my body shape, I am pretty slim, but don't have big thighs or anything - maybe if your thighs are bigger the shorts and pad will stay in place more readily.

I get no shoulder cutting in issues, or hr strap conflicts, and if anyone should get cutting in issues it is me, as I have my straps REALLY tight - having an overly short torso, I have to buy a slightly smaller bib than might be ideal, so the straps keep it all locked in - so in theory for me normal shorts would be the ideal alternative, as the torso doesn't come into it, so the fact I still go through that for the extra comfort tells a story :D

*My random percentage I believe is backed up by the lack of normal shorts as readily available as they used to be - where as 11 years ago, when I started seriously, there were multiple options out there for non bib shorts.
    Not looked recently, but there seems to be less and less out there - still plenty for MTB use though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Daniel B wrote:
    La Passione classic bibs for me. Not as stunning value as they used to be, but easily up to a century.
    Agree - these suit me perfectly. If they've got your size and you can stand some of the designs they've got a sale on: https://www.lapassione.cc/collections/now-or-never

eta - posted before I saw Daniel B's post...
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    In my experience the relationship between backside, bibs and saddle is entirely a personal thing and no amount of advice from others will guarantee you long ride comfort.

I am very lucky. I've got 3 road bikes each with a different saddle and I can do long (80 miles) rides on each.

I've bought £25 Scott bibs and £100 Exteondo bibs and done long rides in both. Without a doubt the Exteondo are more comfortable as are the recently purchased Ale bibs and my now aging Endura FS260Pros.

Best bet is to set a budget and buy what you can afford and cross your fingers.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Navrig2 wrote:
    In my experience the relationship between backside, bibs and saddle is entirely a personal thing and no amount of advice from others will guarantee you long ride comfort.

^^^ this
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Imposter wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:

^^^ this

Seconded.

I was going to say, other people have recommended Lusso but I find mine unwearable now after a few bad experiences on long rides (different areas of rubbing even after chamois cream).
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    DaveP1 wrote:
    I have Lusso, Merlin own brand, DHB and some other I can't remember, can't really tell the difference. Only ever use chamois cream ( well, sudocrem actually!) if it's an all dayer, over 6 hours.
    Can I ask why you think bibs will be better? I've come to the conclusion that there are no advantages to bibs, even ignoring the inconvenience of what to do at toilet time... Most people claim bibs prevent builders bum but in my experience lycra shorts don't gape anywhere anyway. Bibs cause me grief with my heart rate strap and can cut into your shoulders.

YMMV

But I don't even consider non bib shorts now.

BTW decathlon own brand around £70 are word by TDF teams - So I don't think you need to spending mega amounts to get comfy shorts.
    My Funkier were around £45 - great for me.
  • DaveP1 wrote:
    Bibs cause me grief with my heart rate strap and can cut into your shoulders.

How tall are you? They will only cut into your shoulders if they don't fit.
  • davep1
    DaveP1 wrote:

Yes, but it is another area to get right. Normal shorts work fine for me so I don't think I'll buy bibs again, although as someone else pointed out it is getting harder to find them. And as for the performance of taking your jersey off when you need the loo...
  • davep1
    kingrollo wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

YMMV

What's YMMV?!
  • DaveP1 wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

Yes, but it is another area to get right. Normal shorts work fine for me so I don't think I'll buy bibs again, although as someone else pointed out it is getting harder to find them. And as for the performance of taking your jersey off when you need the loo...

Personal preference, but they need to be held up somewhere by something. I prefer that not to be around the waist.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DaveP1 wrote:
    What's YMMV?!

Your Mileage May Vary
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    DaveP1 wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:

I've just thought - I swear by bibs have done since they were invented. All my bike shorts/tights are bibs.
    But for triathlons I wear tri shorts. Not bibs and only a little bit of padding. Those worked just as well. I ride longer in triathlons than i do on normal bike rides - so if they work for that - they'll work for everything ?

So if you are struggling with bike shorts - look up tri shorts.