Horse Whisperer for bike fit?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Is it worth £300? and a 2 hour drive? He is part of the Steve Hogg bike fitting team. I read stuff on Steve Hogg's web site and wonder sometimes if he doesnt go too far with his analytics and theories. There's no Retul or such like but apparently that gets in the way of a good bike fit. It takes 5 hours, so from that perspective its not so expensive but is it worth it?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• am going to Adrian Timmis just of a38 near burton, been looking at all threads on here and can't find anything but good things about him, he's got rid of his shop but still doing the fitting and it turns out a lot of riders round hear been to him and rate him, and they said he gave them advice on other stuff too. hes about half the price of whistperer and you just book online but he will speak to you on phone to.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Bike whisperer was great for me. He spends way more time looking at your feet and shoes and insoles and cleats and shims etc and discussing ailments and watching you riding on a turbo to give you a fit based on human interpretation of how your body moves and what you tell him works for you. I think this is at odds with many other bike fits which I understand are more formulaic and spat out by a computer etc.

I never had a proper bike fit anywhere else to compare though.

BUT, I think you should choose a local fitter if you can because the good ones will allow you to come back for a few tweaks or a review or to deal with any problems after you have been riding with their suggested fit for a while. Its an art and cant always be perfect first time for everyone and you cant tell immediately because you need time for your body and technique to adapt. So you could be making the trip a couple of times.
  • I went 4 years ago and it was great, incredibly extensive and worth the £260 at the time.
    I took a lot of time thinking about it as is was expensive, and like you it was a 2 hr trip to get there, so it meant it had to be right first time.
    You'll be amazed how little time is spent on the bike, the fit is all about assessing you physically, and a lot of time on cleat position.

Warning - I've recently got new shoes and bike, even with the measurements I don't feel I've got my setup back to the way it was, plus my flexibility has improved. I'd like to go back again for another fit, £300 does feel steep, but I should do it.

I'd say it's worth the money, you'll get a lot more benefit than spending £1000 upgrading your bike or buying a Rapha rain jacket etc. I'm sure you could get a good fit for a lot cheaper, particularly if you are are fairly "standard" and don't have any pre-existing issues, but it's the level of detail with Scherrit that you are paying for.
  • Is it worth £300?

Of course it isn't
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I went to see him about 8 years ago, same as above loads of time on cleats and riding style goals etc, i went because i was really suffering with knee and neck pains, after my fitting that all went first ride and didn't come back until i ballsed up a cleat change, mind you he was half the price back then.

But as has been said paying money to be comfortable on the bike is the second best bike investment you can make
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.