Switching frameset- Road

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited October 2017 in Road beginners
Hi all,

This is my first post on this big community forum which I've reading now and then.

My actual everyday bike (that I use for commute to work and long group rides), now comprising an old 90's Ishiwata frame with a complete Record 11s, Pro Vibe compact handlebars, Thomson Elite Stem and Seatpost, 1" Ritchey Carbon fork, Ksyrium Wheels and a Selle Itália Novus Flow Endurance saddle, is shacking all my body's bones every time I go out on a long ride.

Every time I put my bones on a carbon frame is night and day comfort wise, so I'm decided to take the plunge and put the Ishiwata for commute work and build a modern bike for training work.

So here I am trying to source out a good, but modestly priced carbon frame.

I've lost a Tiffosi Scalare frame on EBay for cheap last week. It was sold under 250 pounds new, from a dispay/show bike. It's not an endurance frame (which is what I'm really looking for), but I suspect that a few spacers bellow the stem would have solved the issue.

So to all the members that are willing to help, I'll thank you in advance for every clue that you can share on sourcing a good frameset at a keen price.

All the best,
Alex

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    What specifically do you want from people on this forum?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    What size frame do you require?
  • naavt
    edited January 2018
    TheFD wrote:
    What specifically do you want from people on this forum?

I would appreciate that any member with a much broader knowledge than me would help me naming every brand/model/year of a carbon frame that would come to mind, and that otherwise I wouldn't find in a "dumb" internet search.

I can search for a Canyon Endurance, a Trek Madone or a Specialized Roubaix. Names that come to mind to everyone. I'm after "that" frame that doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but is as good as the premium brand without having to pay for the "S" (Specialized) or "T"...

Searching EBay I've came across a Tiffosi frame that I wasn't aware of it's existence, and within my reach. I assume that Tiffosi's not the only semi-new (2015), frameset that I can find in a used or clearance sale that meets my needs, so I'm hoping that members of this forum can help me throwing in any clue that can make my search easier in this respect.
    What size frame do you require?

53/54
  • naavt
    Ok. In this quest for a cheap/relatively good carbon frame, I've came across with the following so far:

1. Tifosi Scalare
    2. Boardman C
    3. 13Bikes Intuition Alpha
    4. 13Bikes Intuition Beta

I'll appreciate if any member could share it's 2 cents on this matter please.

Thanks in advance
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Reviews of the 13 bikes suggest they are a wee bit flexible as I was looking at them as a winter bike.

The behind fork and under BB brakes are a pain the arse too (My OH has an aluminium one)

I'd go for the boardman, there must be a reason they sell thousands of them a year.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any chance of pics of the Ishiwata - has potential to be lush.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • naavt
    @ Dannbodge. Thanks for the tips. I've 2 more brands to add to that "cheap frameset" list: Dolan (L'Etape is high regarded for what it seems), and Coluer.

@ Matthewfalle: I've just realised that I didn't had any pic of my bike so I apologise for the "in living room - just taken" photo.

https://ibb.co/eujQow
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I wouldn't bother switching frameset unless bike is wrong size.

Try running 25C/28c quality tyres at less pressure if current frame will fit them.

If you get a new frame build it up another bike keep the super record drivetrian for best.....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    naavt wrote:
    @ Dannbodge. Thanks for the tips. I've 2 more brands to add to that "cheap frameset" list: Dolan (L'Etape is high regarded for what it seems), and Coluer.

@ Matthewfalle: I've just realised that I didn't had any pic of my bike so I apologise for the "in living room - just taken" photo.

https://ibb.co/eujQow

Sort the stem, sort the saddle and that's well cool.

Having sorted them you may even find all your woes gone.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    There are a few cheap options here:

https://www.radialcycles.co.uk/bikes/framesets.html

Alu winter frameset for £99.
    Full carbon frameset (3 colours) with internal cable routing and tapered headtube ~ 1300g for frame + fork @ £289
  • 1300g for F+F plus headset and bearings. That could be turned into a lovely bike. The alloy at that price contends with Ribble 7005 (Frame only) at the same price £99 with the Radial also having carbon forks !