Mudguards Suck!

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited October 2017 in Commuting general
For years I have experimented with mudgaruds on my ever changing commuting bikes. I have tried solid metal guards / SKS Commuters / Race Blades / Road Racers etc etc and despite all the various tweaking I have come to the conclusion that ALL mudguards suck!

My issue is not with their ability to stop mud and rain (which they mostly do admirably) but rather its the fact that they make so much damn noise! I consider myself to be a decent home mechanic so I know the issue is not my fitting ability.

My most recent experiment used some wide SKS Commuter II guards (42mm I believe) covering some 25mm tyres (i.e loads of tyre clearance) - I even opted for rubber washers between the braze on screws and the eyelets but still every pot hole CLANG/RATTLE/PING etc etc! Getting out of the saddle for a intense blast also flexes the wheels causing the guards to rub also (downside of slightly flexy wheels and QR I suspect). Even when on a smooth bit of road I would get leaves caught under the guard that make a horrid scratching noise requiring me to stop and remove - Annoying when you are on a charge to make the lights before they turn.

I have now ditched the mudguards and instead replaced with a simple Zefal Swan seat mounted rear guard only - Nothing up front. The added space has allowed me to stick in my favorite 32c tyres.

I cannot tell you the sheer joy of cycling to work this morning with the the only bike sound being the click of the shifter.

Going forward I don't think I will use guards again - I am willing to accept that I will get wet feet and legs (maybe over shoes are in order) and have to clean my bike more often but rather this than the hideous noises from before. I don't care this is what my shower at the office is for - 1 trip a week on the bus with a week's worth of spare clothes = job done!

Anyone else gone back to guardless free commuting?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mine don't make a sound. Factory fitted though so I can't take any credit.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    I've used a set of raceblade wide guards and now have some raceblade pro guards on my winter CAAD and they're not noisy...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    edited October 2017
    Mine are silect too - I have Tortec, SKS, PDW and Cruds - the cruds do make a noise but that's the brushes rubbing on the rims.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • I use Bontrager NCS fender, and ride along badly maintained tow paths and cycle paths mostly.

No noise issues on any of the three bikes we have fitted with this (one cross bike, two front suspension hybrids).

Given that they collect so much mud that ever few weeks it builds up and acts as a brake on the rear wheel, not running without them.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    2 sets of raceblades here .. neither make a noise or rub
  • Sks chromoplastics here second set and the only way it rattles is when I ride over a big pothole, very rough road patch or I catch the rear guard on the bike stand when lifting it off. That last one's a kind of twang.

Oh one more thing, I'm a rubbish installer of mudguards. I have only done two year guards myself and that's only because they're easy. I ignore the covers over the tops of the stays too because I'm too lazy to cut them short enough (no decent cutting tools).

So as a rubbish installer gets it quiet enough what are you doing wrong?
  • mr_eddy
    I think I am just being over critical - I pick up on the small noises that just drive me nuts - I had 25c tyres set at 120PSI and the roads are properly crap near me so I suspect that has made it worse.

I know my fixings have been fine, One set of guards were fitted by my LBS and they also made noises when hitting pot holes etc so defo not fittings. I think it must just be me being over critical combined with crap roads. I also like to go quite fast too so that probably makes it even worse.

Again now I am guardless with the 32c all is fine with the world :)
  • mr_eddy
    Also I think my flexy wheels have been causing some of the noise issues. New wheels for chrimbo maybe on the cards :)
  • mr_eddy wrote:
    Also I think my flexy wheels have been causing some of the noise issues. New wheels for chrimbo maybe on the cards :)

Sounds like a good excuse to me!

I am going for new wheels and handlebar on my work bike due to hand numbness issues. That is my story and I am sticking to it!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    120psi! Yep, I reckon that could be a contributory factor :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • mr_eddy wrote:
    I think I am just being over critical - I pick up on the small noises that just drive me nuts - I had 25c tyres set at 120PSI and the roads are properly crap near me so I suspect that has made it worse.

I know my fixings have been fine, One set of guards were fitted by my LBS and they also made noises when hitting pot holes etc so defo not fittings. I think it must just be me being over critical combined with crap roads. I also like to go quite fast too so that probably makes it even worse.

Again now I am guardless with the 32c all is fine with the world :)

My daughter was running 80psi on 28's on Sundays Norwich circular with no rattles.
    We normally run 35-40's with 55-60psi so a lot less issues!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    PDWs now on their second winter season... only 1 safety tab has had to be replaced when someone kicked it in with size 12 boot.
    Silent running and even stealth... I have had people not even seeing the mudguards - hence above.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    mr_eddy wrote:
    I think I am just being over critical
    I can't help but think there may be an element of that. I'm running narrower chromoplastics with 32mm tyres and don't have an issue. My wheels are not flexy at least and I'm running lower pressure than you. I don't like noises either so would pick up if there were too many.
  • I pick up noises too. I guess I must not be getting them but I do run 32s or 37s on about 80 psi dropping to 40 occasionally with an undetected slow puncture once realized I had a puncture and when I checked the pressure I was about 20 psi running on 37s.

I certainly think lower pressures and fatter tyres go a long way to reducing some noises.
  • I'm looking to buy a set of guards for my Cube Attain. Seeing as Cube are silent as to when they;re ever going to bring back their specific version for the bike I need to look elsewhere.

Currently hovering over the "buy" button for a set of SKS Raceblade Pro XL (I run 28mm tyres) but the thing stopping me is the rather short looking rear - I see that it will stop me getting wet but I can't think it does much for whoever is behind. A big part of me getting some is to use on club runs and bunch riding.

Can anyone who owns a pair report as to how they are? If no use in this regard, got any alternatives?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why 120 PSI for 25mms - what do you use if you go narrower ?? Ow.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    mr_eddy wrote:
    That seems rather high. I don't pump my 23c tyres up that high. If you ran lower pressure then the ride would be more comfortable and the tyres would be able to absorb more of the road imperfections which would make things rattle less.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    mr_eddy wrote:

Christ how flexy would they have to be to rub on the mudguards ?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Ive got some SKS raceblades on my commute bike, the rear has generally been rock solid and fine, but I can never get the front to sit properly so it rattles about and so you adjust it a bit and then find it fouls on the wheel, and adjust it, and it rattles and repeat. I think it got knocked whilst in a bike rack and one of the arms is slightly bent which is the problem.
  • minnnt
    minnnt Posts: 102
    I fitted some SKS Bluemels the other day and they’re solid. My previous set of unknown guards were flappy beyond belief. I’m running 25mm Conti GP 4000s ii at 90psi on Mavic CXP Elite wheels. Time will tell I guess but no issues up to yet. (Famous last words)
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    If you've got mudguard eyelets and narrow tyres then these aluminium guards are a steal at £17.09. I've used SKS for years but they inevitably crack or snap, which won't be a problem with the Radials. They do need a flap though.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Good call... there is no way plastic mudguards can survive a rough (A road even) commute without self destruction within a fairly quick time scale.

However, for bikes with no eyelets, I will put my full money again on (expensive) PDWs... but I dont have to, because they work and can cope.