Anyone dealt with warranty claims with Scott UK?

poptart242
poptart242 Posts: 531
edited September 2019 in Road buying advice
Just looking for a little reassurance here if anyone can help - basically, my Scott Foil's dropouts have been misaligned since buying, but I only noticed this after some 1500 miles when I installed some more modern (wider) wheels. This caused the tyre to lean against the rear left seat stay and I only noticed after 10 or so miles when it had rubbed through the paint and got to touch the carbon fibre underneath (I've since checked with multiple wheels and replicated the issue, so it's a definite frame problem).

Scott are going to look at it and the retailer has arranged a courier for next week.

After that, I'm in the dark - how long does this thing tend to take? Will they repair the dropouts and the seat-stay on the current frame or just give me a new one? What exactly are my rights in these sort of cases?

I just picked up a CAAD8 to hack around with, so thankfully I'm not without a road bike in the meantime. But still, I really, really love that Scott!

Thanks!

Comments

• teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Hi

Same thing happened to my Foil 20 around 3 years ago. Scott replaced the frame with a Foil 10, so a slight upgrade.

All sorted within a few weeks through Evans (the supplying dealer wanted nothing to do with it :roll: )
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Teebs_123 wrote:
    Hi

Same thing happened to my Foil 20 around 3 years ago. Scott replaced the frame with a Foil 10, so a slight upgrade.

All sorted within a few weeks through Evans (the supplying dealer wanted nothing to do with it :roll: )

That's really great to hear, thanks! I'm secretly hoping for a 2018 colourway frame... it's getting sent off with the groupset attached so who knows... best case is new Ultegra too, if their mechanics are too lazy to swap over the old one to a new frame! :wink:
  • I've had good experience with Scott UK warranty (albeit quite some time ago).
  • teebs_123
    Poptart242 wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Hi

That's really great to hear, thanks! I'm secretly hoping for a 2018 colourway frame... it's getting sent off with the groupset attached so who knows... best case is new Ultegra too, if their mechanics are too lazy to swap over the old one to a new frame! :wink:

Mine was sent frame only, so can't comment.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • hubcap
    hubcap Posts: 163
    Same experience here, I had a tiny hairline crack in a headtube on my old Scott aluminium bike and they sent me out a brand new frameset that was the latest one. Good service from them.
  • Had a good experience also. Found a small bump in the seat stay of my Scott Solace 30 last year. I wasn't sure (and neither were they) if it was bad carbon layup or a slight failure but they took no risks and replaced the frame with a Solace 10. Process took a couple of weeks max and I was kept up to date my retailer (Pauls) and Scott themselves.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Lots of reassuring feedback here, thank you all
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,923
    Ive dealt with them for the same issue and they were very good. Have you got wheels that have threaded axles in the dropouts? I did and you could see the the thread imprint in the carbon dropouts and that was causing the misalignment. Changed to some wheels which didn’t have threaded axles in the dropouts and been all good since.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • teebs_123
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Ive dealt with them for the same issue and they were very good. Have you got wheels that have threaded axles in the dropouts? I did and you could see the the thread imprint in the carbon dropouts and that was causing the misalignment. Changed to some wheels which didn’t have threaded axles in the dropouts and been all good since.

Same issue with mine, Hope Hubs I recall.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Teebs_123 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Same issue with mine, Hope Hubs I recall.

I've had a few sets in to be honest, not sure exactly which ones may have caused that - but I'll have a look at the hubs when I get home. Cheers!
  • Well this hasn't gone to plan. My email back from the retailer is as follows:
    Thank you for allowing Scott the time to investigate this.

We have heard back from them today after their analysis.

They have advised that they have checked the frame is aligned with the manufacturer's tolerances, including the rear dropouts, and is manufactured in line with their specifications.

They have suggested that the damage could have been caused by a range of factors, for example:

- a tyre which is too wide or seated to one side on the rim

- a tyre which has something embedded in it, or attached to it, causing repeated abrasion (e.g. mud, sharp stone)

- a wheel axle which is possibly not fully seated or tightened, permitting the wheel to move within the dropout (although would expect this to be perceptible when ridden, in handling)

As such, they do not assess that the issue would be covered within their manufacturer's warranty.

Please be assured that I have appraised our management team of the case and Scott's findings.

In the circumstances, I thought I would mention that we do have a contact within a carbon repair company, so if you should wish to look into repairing the frame yourself, we could contact them on your behalf for an indication of the likely costs. Your frame has been returned to us by Scott today, so we can return directly to you if you would prefer.

This is pretty annoying. I'm a little insulted that they'd suggest the 3 potential reasons, especially after explaining my issue in such detail. Seems a bit of a cookie cutter response.

Anybody know what sort of rights I have from here? I've already gone back to them to ask exactly how the frame was measured, as I doubt based on the above that it was on a jig.
  • Update on this - I complained loudly enough that they offered me a crash replacement frame at cost. So I'm selling that, here. Happily it's an upgraded frame on the one I rode, so that's pretty cool. Buy it here!: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13086765
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    Update on this - I complained loudly enough that they offered me a crash replacement frame at cost. So I'm selling that, here. Happily it's an upgraded frame on the one I rode, so that's pretty cool. Buy it here!: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13086765

Really surprised they didn't warrant in full tbh, but getting the better frame at cost is better than a kick in the nads. I'd keep it if I were you (but then I'm biased) - I doubt there is a more comfortable aero frame and being technically "second hand" you might struggle to get good money for it. GLWS
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    Update on this - I complained loudly enough that they offered me a crash replacement frame at cost. So I'm selling that, here. Happily it's an upgraded frame on the one I rode, so that's pretty cool. Buy it here!: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=13086765

Really surprised they didn't warrant in full tbh, but getting the better frame at cost is better than a kick in the nads. I'd keep it if I were you (but then I'm biased) - I doubt there is a more comfortable aero frame and being technically "second hand" you might struggle to get good money for it. GLWS

Inclined to agree on both counts... the new frame's paint job is lovely, and it's the most comfortable geometry I've ever been on. Maybe I should just build it again, lightning can't strike twice can it??
  • Scotts warranty is terrible. I have/had a 2 year old Scott RC 900 SL, their top end cross country bike. Cracked the frame by hitting a rock with my pedal. Scott said they would not do anything. Replace the rear triangle at retail cost. Pretty sad.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    So you crash your two year old Scott in to a rock and they offer you a discount on a replacement and that’s a bad deal.
  • Poptart242 wrote:
    Poptart242 wrote:

Inclined to agree on both counts... the new frame's paint job is lovely, and it's the most comfortable geometry I've ever been on. Maybe I should just build it again, lightning can't strike twice can it??

errrr - you've just got what you wanted as you posted above but didn't blag a new groupset so MF can't see why you would want to sell it.

#isMFmissingsomething?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • MF is missing that this post is two years old and the stable now has a Canyon Ultimate and a CAAD12 - neither have stupid bottom bracket brakes, lovely as the frame was. I ended up building it and riding it for a while but it wasn't practical enough for my needs.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I think a lot of these warranties amount to nothing these days. I have an ongoing battle with Kuota - I think they are reluctant to warranty it as it would open the floodgates & set a precedent.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    kingrollo wrote:
    I think a lot of these warranties amount to nothing these days. I have an ongoing battle with Kuota - I think they are reluctant to warranty it as it would open the floodgates & set a precedent.

I think it sounds like some companies may be more difficult to deal than others, but in my experience warranties are still honoured.

I have had replacement frames for several bikes, twice from Felt and once from Specialized. On each occasion the process took less than 4 weeks and the replacement frames were built up free of charge.

Not just this though, Specialized also included a new set of bars for the inconvenience, and a free follow up bike check 6 weeks after getting the replacement.

On another note, Specialized also helped me massively with replacing a bike I crashed last year, after my insurance company had wriggled out of paying up. Their crash replacement scheme got me the same bike (latest model) for half the price.

Also, it definitely helps having as great lbs to support any claims such as this though.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Kouta just tell I need to educate myself in how to maintain a modern road bike. ! I have educated myself on who not to buy a £3.5k bike from though ! .....you live and learn..
  • Going back to the OP and issues with Scott..I had a Scott for frame fail on a Foil 3yrs ago on a bike I had built up myself, from new. Scott basically told me if it had not been built by an approved Scott dealership at point of delivery you may as well forget it! I claimed on my home insurance, the bike was covered specifically on there...the damaged frame hung in the garage for a few months, I did consider a repair but I eventually took it to the refuse site...I wouldn't touch a Scott again if it was even less than trade price..lovely frame, until it broke, then the customer service was simply non existent...the old saying comes to mind...buyer beware!! I'm not sure, and I may be doing them a disservice but I think they are owned by some large Far Eastern Corp now as opposed to time back when they were USA owned and customer service did actually mean something!
    That obviously was just my experience, someone might have had different, but you say as you find, and I found them lacking, badly.