Short commute, bike worth it?

overthr0wn
overthr0wn Posts: 2
edited October 2017 in Commuting general
Whattup guys, newb here just dropping in. So I just moved to London, first day here had my bike stolen (RIP my gorgeous Voodoo Marasa Hybrid) but that's not what this is about. My flat is a 12 minute walk from my uni, which would be 5 minutes if I had my bike. I've been eyeing a Boardman Road Sport for £500, throw in £100 for a Fahgettaboudit mini and some misc stuff, another £100 for a year's insurance cause I'm not risking it again, comes to around £700. I don't know if this is the right forum for this but the question is: is £700 worth it for a half mile daily commute? I don't see myself going out of London too often, and I find boris bikes a joke to use, they don't suit me at all. My girlfriend thinks I'm wasting my money, but I miss cycling. Not just cycling (*cough* boris bikes *cough*) but going fast in particular. That's why I wanted the Boardman. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Gabriel.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    interms of effort etc, then no its not worth it, its such a short walk that you will spend more time faffing with the bike than you will cycling it

BUT

you said you miss cycling, ... so hell yeah, its worth it !"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If that's all you are going to use it for get a cheap beater for £50 and a £5 lock. If it gets pinched get another.

This cost a whole £55. Some cheap panniers and my couple of mile a day is sorted comfortably.

Strangely enough, drivers give me a lot more space as well, compared to my previous converted MTB.

36803771524_4901d3086b_b.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Don't buy it for your commute. But it for going places at the weekend :)
  • leemeh
    leemeh Posts: 16
    As someone else said, no point in anything more than a beater for that sort of use.

If you will never ride it in other circumstances and it’s purely for 5 minutes each way then buy a £80-£100 used Carerra hybrid or if it’s flat a single speed for virtually zero maintenance
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Bugger about the first bike, that's sad.

I'd not bother with an expensive bike being left outside just for that. The beater bike for £50 sounds a far better idea. II would expect the Boardman wouldn't last that much longer than your first bike.

Keep your best bike at home - its not like the uni year is that long ?
  • Just walk it. Get the bike by all means, but ride it when it's worth it.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Got my B Sport for 375 a few weeks back, if that somewhat lessens the blow. Your journey, no I wouldn't bother and buy a beater instead like others have suggested.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.