Do you wear double shorts?

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited October 2017 in Road general
I was looking at buying another pair of tights until I found out that the pair I was looking at wasn't padded, Someone suggested wearing padded shorts underneath ........then my mind wandered.
I've worn padded undershorts under 3/4 length shorts.

Do any of you wear padded shorts under tights?
Padded Shorts under padded tights?

Comments

• shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    worn padded shorts under unpadded tights, but padded shorts under padded tights might have you walking about like Donald Duck
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    If you have both, try them and see how you get away with them.
    If not get padded tights to wear by themselves.
  • pbassred wrote:
    I was looking at buying another pair of tights until I found out that the pair I was looking at wasn't padded, Someone suggested wearing padded shorts underneath ........then my mind wandered.
    I've worn padded undershorts under 3/4 length shorts.

Do any of you wear padded shorts under tights?
    Padded Shorts under padded tights?

I think Max Wall used to wear them
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    In autumn/winter, I always wear my usual padded shorts under non-padded tights and find it a least as comfortable as just padded tights. That said, I haven't had to resort to tights so far this year (but the forecast for tomorrow morning might change that). Never tried it but I suspect that 'double padding ' could get uncomfortable not to mention making the 4rse look huge (or huger).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Shorts in summer, shorts with leg warmers in spring/autumn and shorts with unpadded bibs over them in winter. In winter I use shorts that have gone a bit thin in the lycra but with still good pads :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you're doing a lot of winter miles then its easier to wash a pair of shorts each day than a pair of padded longs.

So I use the summer shorts with longs over. Shorts go in the wash - longs can usually go a few rides without washing.

Double padding seems a bit much and anyone who is fussy over saddle height is probably having kittens thinking about this.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bibbed 3/4s with normal bibbed padded shorts on top in the winter, otherwise just bibbed padded shorts and leg warmers
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I’ve worn Tri shorts with the thin pad for an Ironman swim and then put padded shorts on, not bibs, over the top for the bike, closest I’ve come to two pairs.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more doubling up sounds like madness - unless its a winter endurance ride. Nah! to hell with that. I think I'll just buy some unpadded tights. - or leg warmers. I wonder which is better .... More thinking.
  • Women's tights are pretty cheap.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Yeah worn padded shorts under un-padded tights...it's fine. These days though if it's cold enough for tights I ride on the turbo...got over all that hard bloke stuff a couple of years ago :lol:
  • Fenix wrote:
    If you're doing a lot of winter miles then its easier to wash a pair of shorts each day than a pair of padded longs.

So I use the summer shorts with longs over. Shorts go in the wash - longs can usually go a few rides without washing.

Double padding seems a bit much and anyone who is fussy over saddle height is probably having kittens thinking about this.

Pretty much this.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    pbassred wrote:
    Yeah, the more I think about it, the more doubling up sounds like madness - unless its a winter endurance ride. Nah! to hell with that. I think I'll just buy some unpadded tights. - or leg warmers. I wonder which is better .... More thinking.

For winter- go unpadded tights. If you come off in the wet or ice two layers are better. They'll slide on each other.
  • shiznit76 wrote:
    worn padded shorts under unpadded tights, but padded shorts under padded tights might have you walking about like Donald Duck

Have you tried padded shorts over padded tights and pretended you're superman with hemorrhoids?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    I have 2 pairs of unpadded tights. I cannot get the shorts to stay in position whilst I pull on the tights over the top of them, so I do not bother - I put the padded shorts on top. Always have done and I find it is more comfortable. They look fine, no one can tell that the tights underneath aren't just leg warmers.
    The advantage is that you don't have to find a pair of padded tights with the pad you like; you can use the shorts that you find most comfortable. I actually wish that more winter tights were made without pads for this very reason.
    Without offs and using shorts, your tights could last indefinitely but when they are padded, they are only as good as the longevity of the pad.
    In very cold weather, it's nice to have that extra layer achieved with wearing a pair of shorts on top/underneath.

Where is it written that you should wear your shorts underneath your tights? Who said it was more comfortable that way?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • cougie
    Are they not bib shorts ? Why won't they stay in position just because otherwise tights are over them ?

Up to you wearing tights with no pad first and then tights over but then you're not putting your bum on the pad. Your tights might chafe.

There's no rule that days you have to wear shorts the right way. You could wear them inside out. Start a Trend ?
  • pinno
    edited October 2017
    There's no chaffing. Yes, they are bib shorts but the bit down the leg rides upwards when you pull the tights over them.
  • cougie
    Aah the leg of the shorts comes up with the tights. Maybe Keep a hand down each side as you pull them up one at a time ?
  • pinno
    cougie wrote:
    Aah the leg of the shorts comes up with the tights. Maybe Keep a hand down each side as you pull them up one at a time ?

Yep, it's a PITA.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    yep padded shorts under tights works, Ive got roubaix backed bib ones, so are cycling specific, and also standard running, gym type leggings really, too. As people say its easier to just keep levels of spare kit down and then you dont need a whole double size cycling wardrobe just to ride thru winter. plus it acts as another layer to keep the chill out
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Fenix wrote:

a few rides? I normally last the winter for the longs!
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • pinno
    davidof wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

a few rides? I normally last the winter for the longs!

Turn them inside out and get two winters out of them.
  • I have unpadded tights which I wear in winter. I find the double layer gives extra insulation when it's really cold, and I've never had any problems keeping the shorts in place when pulling on the tights - and that's with three different brands of shorts (though only one brand of tights - Lusso Super Roubaix). I use leg warmers on colder mornings in spring and autumn so I have the option of removing them if it warms up.