Waterproof handle bar phone mount

onedayer
onedayer Posts: 41
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at the quad lock products to mount my phone on my handlebars. One thing that doesn't look right is how the pictures seem to show nothing covering the top of the phone to keep the rain off. I am a fair weather cyclist but occasionally I am going to be out when it rains, that's inevitable. What isn't good is if I've to then move my phone into my pocket or whatever so it doesn't get wet!

So a couple of questions; are the quad lock products waterproof? If not are there single covers/ screens that you can buy to go over your touch screen to keep it dry? (That you can still touch!)

Is the top half of a waterproof case compatible with the lower half of the quad lock case which attaches to the mount?

For the record I have a Samsung A5 (2017). What is my best option here?

Comments

• alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Your phone is already waterproof.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    The best option imo would be to actually save your money and buy a basic Garmin / Wahoo type device and keep your phone in your pocket. Many cyclists will go through this, use phone, buy case, decide they need more buy Garmin etc. Save yourself the time and protect your phone now.
  • While the thread is still fresh i'll add what I'd use the phone mount for. Firstly, I use Strava to map my routes and give me a location in case I get lost (which is a lot) and after my ride to check speed and such. In my back pocket it's a fuss to stop get my phone out and check where I am.

Also I do a lot of riding indoors on Zwift and that has a mobile app. It's very handy to interact with others, change course direction and do a thousand other things with my phone in easy reach. This is the number one reason i'm happy using a phone and not bothering with Garmins or other devices.

@supermurph09, I get the idea of waiting and buying a proper device but honestly I don't think I'll ever upgrade from strava to map my rides and see the data that I need, plus my heart rate strap is controlled by another app.

@alan sherman, waterproof enough to withstand a sudden downpour? If so then I feel very stupid haha.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Samsung’s entry-level Galaxy A5 has the same IP rating as its top–end stablemate the Galaxy S7, but without the same top–end price tag.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/feature ... artphones/
  • Fenix wrote:
    Samsung’s entry-level Galaxy A5 has the same IP rating as its top–end stablemate the Galaxy S7, but without the same top–end price tag.

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/feature ... artphones/

I read that after Alan told me it was waterproof. Still, it doesn't really clarify what that means. I'm not going to throw it in a bath tub but what if I'm on a 3hr ride and 30 minutes in it starts raining - can it stay wet for 2.5 hrs?
  • Yes it can. http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/what-is/ip68/

I have Galaxy S5, and had it out in the rain (nota bene on the Quad mount) for longer than that (not very usable though, mind you), as well as without any additional protection in my sweaty back pocket. It still works fine.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Why would you have your phone out on the bars anyway ? I keep mine in my back pocket. If you're using it for navigation then you;ll soon learn the routes and getting lost is healthy.

The rating is a classification known as IP68, which means it can be submerged in water to a depth of roughly 1.5m for 30 minutes.

That sounds worse than being out in the rain for a few hours.