Highway code question

Robtow
Robtow Posts: 9
edited October 2017 in Road general
I am after a bit of advice with regards to road usage

I have this junction which I use daily, which has a filter system attached to a roundabout (common thing these days) and need to go straight over the roundabout

Question is:

Do I
A) Stay to the left and move over when I get close to the junction
B) Stay in the line of the road putting me in the correct lane on the roundabout

The problem I am having is both scenarios involves me having accidents/arguments with drivers.
A- Causes traffic jams and a lot of swearing from drivers
B- Causes me to get run over plus a lot of swearing from drivers

My only scenario is for me to indicate right even though I am going straight on (Confusing to me and other users)
I can’t find anything on the Highway Code on this, with regards to cyclists

Just wanted to know what other cyclists would do in this scenario
I have attached the picture of the roundabout in question

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbn220n2hlldq ... e.JPG?dl=0

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    edited October 2017
  • You cycle straight through that straight on arrow and trace a curve through the roundabout that maintains that line. AS you say, that means anyone going right will hit you, they should be taking more care. If you stay left cars going straight on will try to overtake you. There's no easy solution here other than to ride defensively. Assuming you arrive before other cars behind riding defensively alerts them to you being there.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    When - is this a commute?
    What speed do you ride at - and how is that relative to the traffic?
    How far back does the left filter start?
    How busy is the left filter?
    Does the traffic generally queue at the roundabout or does it flow fairly quickly?

If you're dawdling and the traffic is fast then moving out of the filter lane will cause a massive slow down - hence the frustration - especially if that's commuter time - although technically right (on your part) it doesn't help the smooth flow. However, if you're doing ~20mph and the traffic is around 30 then it's not such a gap and they should just suck it up for a bit.
    If the left filter wasn't busy then I'd be tempted to sit in the left filter - take the lane - then indicate, check & move over at the last moment.
    Having found it on Google maps - the lane is very wide - do the cars make it two lanes or do they sit in one? It's coming out of a 40 and into a 30 just before the roundabout - so your speed differential shouldn't be too huge.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Act as if you are driving a car, take the lane, and cars will just have to deal with it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    cooldad wrote:
    Act as if you are driving a car, take the lane, and cars will just have to deal with it.
    This, ride in the lane you should be in if you were a car. Ride assertively, be predictable in your actions.
  • Go in the lane that is pointing you the way you want to go. If you are starting in the left lane before it becomes left turn only, you indicate to move into the middle lane. Like a car or motorbike would.

How many times have you got run over by doing this?
  • If that left lane 'pops into existence' from the straight on lane then, tbh, I'd never even enter onto it unless turning left.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    cooldad wrote:

I agree.
  • Robtow
    Robtow Posts: 9
    This is a communte i do regulaly
    It varies on speed 15 mph 25 mph depends on wind speed (or if i am late for work)
    Thanks to the filter the traffic flows very well even in rush hour

if I am going at speed, funny enough do not have an issue.
    If you were a car you would just go strait on but when a cyclist its a different story
    I have tried all scenarios, and every one causes an issue, just wanted to get feedback from you guys
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    You don't have to do anything different to what you would do in a car. If you don't like it, drive to work instead.
  • Robtow wrote:
    This is a communte i do regulaly
    It varies on speed 15 mph 25 mph depends on wind speed (or if i am late for work)
    Thanks to the filter the traffic flows very well even in rush hour

If you were a car you would just go strait on but when a cyclist its a different story
    I have tried all scenarios, and every one causes an issue, just wanted to get feedback from you guys

It's really not. Especially if you're going at about 20mph. The cars should be slowing for the roundabout anyway, you shouldn't be delaying them by more than seconds. Just don't make unexpected movements, or do any sudden manoeuvres to get into that lane.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Robtow wrote:

It's not funny/strange at all - this is the key to your issue. If there isn't a large speed differential between you and the rest of the traffic you can act as if you were a car without other road users needing to slow down or take avoiding action. Problem solved :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • put some laser pointers on the back of your helmet, that should keep them back.
  • As soon as the lanes have arrows on them they are filter lanes rather than general overtaking lanes. Go in the lane with the correct arrow. If the filter lane left just appears 100-200 m before the roundabout then don't enter it.

Sometimes traffic feel the need to jump around you ahead of a roundabout and would prefer you to keep over to let them pass. But, really, that's just bad driving and they shouldn't be trying to overtake on approach to a roundabout (or any junction).

In reality bikes are often quicker through roundabouts as you have better visibility of traffic and often accelerate quicker up to 10-15 mph.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I can only add - don't be ambiguous in where you're riding ... either take the lane or don't.
    Oh - and if a driver is curteous then a (small) wave of thanks can go a long way to helping the next driver behave too (IMHO).
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I'd go for B and stay to the left hand side of the middle lane.

there is another lane on the right, so drivers can get past if needed.
  • cooldad
    Nope, take the full lane. Last thing you want is a couple of cars trying to squeeze past on the roundabout. A bike has just as much right to be there as a car, and if the car driver is in that much of a rush they should have left 20 seconds earlier.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I would go along with police advice. If in doubt ride defensively in the middle of the carriageway you're in. I would change that last bit to the carriageway you should be in. In by this case the straight on lane one carriageway in from the left.

Speed differential is the only issue to that and it takes a confident rider to do this. A lot of beginner commuters wouldn't. On a much easier section with two junctions close together I've seen new commuters struggle to work out the best way through. I learnt by watching an experienced commuter. I later helped this lass out. I encouraged her to follow my line and I took a confident and steady route through making sure we both had the gap to make the right lane together. I've seen her a few times since and just confidence has improved such that she's claiming her space on the road just like motorbike riders are taught and like cars / trucks do through their size. If in doubt ride like a motorbike or a car taking the right lane for your travel. I suppose any motorbike riding manual might help or perhaps cyclecraft too.

IMHO commuters need to ride with confidence.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Veronese68 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    This, ride in the lane you should be in if you were a car. Ride assertively, be predictable in your actions.

+2. It's your lane. If anyone wants to get annoyed because they have been delayed 3 seconds, let them. Don't get drawn into arguments. An argument out of a car window isn't a rational one.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope, take the full lane. Last thing you want is a couple of cars trying to squeeze past on the roundabout. A bike has just as much right to be there as a car, and if the car driver is in that much of a rush they should have left 20 seconds earlier.

Yes, don't invite cars to squeeze past. Take your space, do big signals, use eye contact. Use big obvious movements (arm signals, looks behind and to the side to where you are intending to move).
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Slowbike wrote:
    I can only add - don't be ambiguous in where you're riding ... either take the lane or don't.
    Oh - and if a driver is curteous then a (small) wave of thanks can go a long way to helping the next driver behave too (IMHO).

and dont worry too much about that part as it never happens :lol:

theres a similar roundabout setup on my commute except the left lane starts off as a bus cycle lane which then turns into a left turn only lane, but no one "lets" you in to the middle lane to go straight on, even though bizarrely the majority of traffic behind you in the middle lane actually then want to be in the left lane to turn left as its a road onto a new estate,but theyd rather force their way past you, and then cut in front, rather than use you as an excuse to slow down for the turn and move they want to make.

so yeah I just ride assertively take the middle of the straight on lane and give small waves of thanks to any driver who gets the hump about it :) only had one or two try and straightline past me in the right hand lane.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Key to any manoeuvres in traffic is clear indicating in good time (an art that sadly seems to have been forgotten by a lot of car drivers these days).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    If you are going straight over a roundabout you should just before the roundabout move into the middle of the left lane if going quickly - 30 km/h or faster and defend your position by taking the centre left or centre right of the lane. As you pass the first exit (if there is one) you should clearly signal left and pull over as far as you can safely left without slowing your speed. If there is no left exit follow the left lane and signal left continuing straight on.

If any car driver complains they can Go F*** Th******s as this the highway code.

If you travel under 15mph different rules apply. Basically if you travel over 15 mph car drivers are legally supposed to treat you as another motorized vehicle, but under 15 mph they can overtake on unbroken white lines etc.

Basic takeaway is: be aggressive, know your rights and go 30 km/h or faster.
  • cooldad
    That's a new one on me. Could you post a link.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Did find something, but it said 10mph, and in any event they still have to give room. And I think overtaking at an intersection is a no no.

And seriously, you might be a racing snake at 30kph, my average commuting speed is probably closer to 10.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    cooldad wrote:
    Did find something, but it said 10mph, and in any event they still have to give room. And I think overtaking at an intersection is a no no.

And seriously, you might be a racing snake at 30kph, my average commuting speed is probably closer to 10.

Think it's something like you can cross a double white to overtake a vehicle doing 10mph or less.
  • cooldad
    A single one I found, but still doesn't mean you have to get out of the way, just that they can go round you if it's safe. So doesn't make much difference.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Double as well. Also contains the words "if safe to do so".
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Thats by the Link centre in Swindon, the filter lane starts probably 50M back from the roundabout.
    IMO id take the lane from the beginning of the filter lane.
    It is a busy roundabout.

Where about are you coming from? I live in Purton btw
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    cooldad wrote:
    That's a new one on me. Could you post a link.
    I don't have a link. I was taught the 15mph rule by a driving instructor when I was doing my HGV 1 (C+E) licence. Was about 20 years ago. :lol: