Sub £500 wheels

RossoCorso34
RossoCorso34 Posts: 204
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
It seems to be a popular topic here, so I thought I'd chip in...

I have recently purchased a Cannondale SuperSix Evo which comes with a set of Mavic Aksiums. From what I understand, the wheels are one of the biggest upgrades that can be made to a bike. So I've naturally started to browse my options.

The type of riding I do is around Berkshire, and the country roads local to me. So some decent hills, a good range of road surfaces and after some rain there is a bit of mud on the road from the local farmers.

As for me, I'm built like a sprinter, as I'm 15st and would struggle to lose a significant amount of weight due to my build. So I need to take this into account. I enjoy climbing, but also enjoy sprinting along. So the wheels need to be able to designed for my weight.

The options I have looked at are Zonda C17, Hunt wheels, the next set of Mavic wheels up in the range and some Shimano options.

At the minute, I'm struggling with paralysis from analysis I think. I am bought into the idea that wheels are generally a good upgrade, but realistically between the options I have, is there much difference? Should I just stick a set if Zondas on and be done with it? Or is there something that I'm missing?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Get some handbuilt wheels from a reputable builder such as the Cycle Clinic, DCR etc. Then you really can get wheels designed for your weight.

If you email them with your requirements (as you set out in your post on here) they will suggest some suitable combinations of hubs, spokes and rims for you.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Something built for your needs, from a reputable builder should give you a great result.
    15st is 95kg so close to the rider limit for some factory wheelsets.
    Hunt do the Race Aero SuperDura which has 130kg weight limit and should give you a lot of strength.
  • Thanks, I'll look into those names you've suggested
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    theboyfold wrote:
    Thanks, I'll look into those names you've suggested

Just as food for thought, Malcolm at Cycle Clinic will build you a set of medium aero wheels with 31mm rim depth and a 24F/28R spoke pattern to cater for heavier riders. On Miche Primato hubs these handbuilts come in at £379 without tyres

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collection ... 1-wheelset

I had Malcolm build me a set of Archetype rims on Miche Primato hubs last year. They have been faultless and are still running sweet and true
  • Ended up ordering a set of Hunt 4Seasons for my CX which I commute on. The road bike isn't going to get a huge amount of use over the winter, so it made more sense to get a feel for Hunt wheels and save about 700g on the commuter
  • shiznit76
    shiznit76 Posts: 640
    heard great things about Cero wheels the AR24 , and only cost £250. Few folk I ride with say they are like wheels twice the price
    https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar ... elset-2017

review
    http://road.cc/content/review/148314-cero-ar24-wheelset
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Just to throw in a curveball for you. You can get the Powertap R460 Wheelset for £500 currently. Whilst the wheelset would only be a slight upgrade from what you have, having a power meter would give you the ability to train with power instead of heartrate/feel.