Alternatives to ortlieb for commuting?

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited October 2017 in Commuting general
For a few years now I've been using a single ortlieb back roller classic to carry my commuting kit. Basically work clothes, food, tool kit, inner tubes, pump and work things like pens, notes, diaries, pads, external hard drives, etc.

Currently I go from 3/4 or full to stuffed in autumn / winter with summer possibly half full. So it's a fair amount of kit.

The trouble is it is starting to bend at the hook rail. I like to put it on my lower pannier rails which mean the hooks are a bit too close. I think that's the cause. Plus it's got no easy access pockets. It's access the full pannier or nothing. That means wet stuff goes in with dry stuff. After a wet ride in I might need to carry wet kit home. Plus bike lock goes in too, I would like to access that with keeping the main part of the bag closed.

So what other options do I have? Volume up to 20 litres.

I'm thinking Carradice or Altura but what's out there? Pockets, dry inside, volume, easy to access contents, a degree of organization, easy to put on or take off the bike.

Comments

• fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Topeak backloader is 10 or 15L. I manage with a 10L for trousers,shirt, socks, undies, pencil case full of rubbish, sandwich box and packaway rain mac. It goes on and off in seconds. Also has a rainproof inner condom-like thing, so I just leave the main bag on and take the condom thing into the office. Spares and tools in a bottle on the frame.
  • It's only 6 or 10 litres. I really need 20 litres at time.
  • I've got a specialized seatpost pack that fits 10 l which is brilliant and fits all the stuff I bring with me to work, but I was also considering pack from Apidura which comes in sizes up to 17 l and they're waterproof. If that's not enough you can always get a framepack where you can stash more easy-access stuff. You should probably be able to get one with about 5 l worth of space without being to bulky.

I'd post links but I'm new here and that seems to be against the rules. Don't want to start it off with getting banned!