Dolan Prefisio vs Ribble 7005 Audax

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi

After much head scratching about what would make the most sensible next bike purchase I have come to the decision that a winter trainer / bad weather bike is probably the ideal partner to my Canyon Ultimate SL 9. I'll use the Canyon for good weather days and racing on, when not in use it can go on the turbo but I need another bike to accompany it.

Budget is tight, £700 is the absolute limit and needs to be Shimano. I can live with 10 speed, but 11 would be preferred, mudguards option an absolute must, not bothered if Alu or Carbon. My search led me to the Ribble and Dolan. I've seen the Ribble in the flesh many times, it's a nice looking bike, if I went with the Dolan I would go with Red/White.

The Dolan with 105 5800 comes in at £699: https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-preff ... -5800.html

The Ribble with Tiagra comes in at £694 (£867 with 105 5800 which is too much): https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/build/sp ... upset/147/

Those are obviously the new prices, I am also looking out for something 2nd hand which might allow room for better wheels on either bike.

These bikes are very popular so I'd really value your opinions. Other suggestions welcomed.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Of the two you list, I'd probably take the Dolan as I think it looks better.
    To add another option, if I was buying a winter bike now, I'd look long and hard at a Cannondale CAAD Optimo Disc and you can get a Tiagra version for just under £700.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The Ribble only takes 23mm tyres under guards really. I'd go for a bike with wider tyre capability.

Lots of other options though Mango, Boardman, etc
    http://road.cc/content/review/209039-ma ... es-point-r
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... arbon-bike
  • supermurph09
    Thanks for the replies, I am not too fussed about discs and the Ribble 23mm comment is really useful.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Preffisio, like the Ribble, takes standard brake calipers, not long reach, so it also has limited clearance under mudguards, and I would expect you'd have trouble running most 25mm tyres without rubbing.
  • stick an arse-saver on the canyon and ride it; contrary to popular opinion it won't melt too quickly.
    I would not put it on a turbo. Buy a cheap anything and put that on the turbo, you won't need gears, expensive wheels, brakes etc just the same dimensions from BB to Saddle and bars.
  • supermurph09
    stick an arse-saver on the canyon and ride it; contrary to popular opinion it won't melt too quickly.
    I would not put it on a turbo. Buy a cheap anything and put that on the turbo, you won't need gears, expensive wheels, brakes etc just the same dimensions from BB to Saddle and bars.

I've owned the Canyon for nearly 4 years, it's been ridden through every kind of weather imaginable and spent many hours on the turbo but I'm keen to keep this is in A1 condition whilst something else bears the brunt. :D
  • Both of these cheap alu frames are pretty uncomfortable. I have just found a Genesis 725 steel volare for £300. Or can be found on eBay for 360.
    Had the Dolan for years was perfect at what it did just not a pleasant ride regardless of distance.
    Ribble used to do a steel winter frame which was good value.
  • Whilst lots of people say you can't fit 25mm tires on a blue Ribble, I've happily been running 25mm Rubinos on mine for the last 4,000 miles with no rubbing whatsoever. That's on wide 23mm rims too. Maybe it's size dependent - mines a 60cm.

You have to throw away the rear metal mudguard bracket and zip tie the guard around the back of the rear brake caliper, and whilst this sounds like a bodge, but it's actually very neat and more elegant than the metal bracket.

I believe they've updated the frame now so that it takes long drop brakes, although mine is the old version with short drop.

I love mine, and I'm not surprised there are so many of them around - they do everything, are stiff, handle well and have a fairly aggressive position. They're not that light, but so what?

If I needed to replace it, I'd get the Dolan - I don't want long drop brakes!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I believe it's the same bike. I currently have a preffisio, but have also had tge ribble in the past. You can fit 25s, but need to be careful on tyre selection. The aforementioned rubino pros will fit either. I currently use 28s, but with raceblades. If buying a winter bike now, I woud opt for something like a caadx.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    At the risk of upsetting some, I've just bought this on a frame deal (£250 for frame, forks, seat post, brakes, headset, etc): https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/roa ... n=MASRT58A
    They also do complete bikes (obviously). I've only done about 100 miles on it so far but it appears to be quite comfy but also quite 'lively'. I'm running 25mm Contis with mudguards with no issues. The 'build it yessen' deal seems pretty good too.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • How about Triban 540 from Decathlon. £679. 11 speed. Long drop brakes and can fit 28mm tyres with guards. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540- ... 77756.html

Genesis equilibrium 10 makes a nice winter bike and will definitely take 25mm and guards but probably 28mm too. It can be had for £710 in most sizes with tiagra. https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/prod ... gKWwfD_BwE

Giant contend sl2 with tiagra can take guards and can be had for £679 https://www.rutlandcycling.com/371991/p ... black.aspx
  • supermurph09
    Some great points and suggestions, thank you.

The Planet X is something I have been looking at, as are the Tribans, the more options the better as availability will no doubt be a factor.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Thanks for the replies, I am not too fussed about discs and the Ribble 23mm comment is really useful.

You want a winter/rubbish weather bike but aren't fussed about giving yourself the best possible opportunity of stopping it (and your wheel rims NOT being consumables!). How odd.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • supermurph09

You want a winter/rubbish weather bike but aren't fussed about giving yourself the best possible opportunity of stopping it (and your wheel rims NOT being consumables!). How odd.

Having 2 bikes with potentially interchangeable wheels is a nice position to be in, 1 rim brake bike and 1 disc brake bike would not give me that. I'm not ruling discs out totally but my preference would be for 2 the same.
  • lostboysaint
    Again, I'm still not getting it. Would you really put your "summer" wheels on your winter hack? If the weather was that good why not just ride the summer bike? And if you're willing to put your winter wheels on your summer bike - presumably because you're riding in bad weather and you want to avoid damaging the nice rims on - then why not just ride the winter bike?

Or better still, just get a disc bike for the winter.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • supermurph09
    Again, I'm still not getting it. Would you really put your "summer" wheels on your winter hack? If the weather was that good why not just ride the summer bike? And if you're willing to put your winter wheels on your summer bike - presumably because you're riding in bad weather and you want to avoid damaging the nice rims on - then why not just ride the winter bike?

Or better still, just get a disc bike for the winter.

I was thinking more in terms of mechanical issues, lets say it's sunny, warm and dry, I'm riding my best bike, a spoke breaks or the wheel suffers some kind of damage and I don't have the money to sort, I could still have the option of riding my best bike but with winter wheels on. That would be a preferred option to riding my full setup winter bike?
  • lostboysaint
    Nope, still not getting it. It's £5 to get a spoke sorted. Meanwhile you've got two sets of "disposable" wheels rather than one for your summer bike and one that only requires pad changes! Buy a decent winter bike and you won't give a shiny shite about swapping wheels over, you'd just climb on that instead.

Your choice though ;)
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • supermurph09
    Nope, still not getting it. It's £5 to get a spoke sorted. Meanwhile you've got two sets of "disposable" wheels rather than one for your summer bike and one that only requires pad changes! Buy a decent winter bike and you won't give a shiny shite about swapping wheels over, you'd just climb on that instead.

Your choice though ;)

You make a strong case. I'll not rule out discs just yet. The CAAD Optimo might be a contender.

Question, can you put a disc brake bike on the turbo?
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Don't believe the hyper about disk brakes, unless you spend a fortune on hydraulics then cable discs are no better than rim brakes plus you haven't died due to lack of brake modulation yet right? I've had both the Dolan and Ribble and both fit 25mm tyres no bother, just got to remove the rear mudguard hanger that slots through the brake mounting hole and replace with cable ties.
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Ive had a Ribble-fell to pieces after 2 not too serious winters.
    Got a Prefissio now which less than a year old is the better bike, and is for sale due to injury-P.m me for details
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I’ve had my winter bike for about five years now, it’s had a few new parts, brake blocks, chains and a new front mech, and always feels like the brakes are rubbing it’s so slow but we’re friends and I was looking forward to this winter on it. However it has rim brakes and according to LostBoySaint I’m going to die to death because of lack of braking power and I’ll frequently need a new set of rims.

To the OP, it’s a B’Twin Triban 5 with Shimano Sora. 9 speed with a triple. My son has one of the newer ones with Tiagra on and it’s perfect for a winter bike. Wheels aren’t the lightest but horses for courses and all that.
  • faster97 wrote:

You have to throw away the rear metal mudguard bracket and zip tie the guard around the back of the rear brake caliper, and whilst this sounds like a bodge, but it's actually very neat and more elegant than the metal bracket.

I have the same frame (in a 58) running 23s which give sufficient clearance. I've tried 25s but without success. I could get them to run freely on the workstand and also when pootling about on dry roads but in a real life riding situation i.e. on dirty wet roads, riding out of the saddle, putting a bit of wheel flex in the mix, they rubbed.

You wouldn't by any chance be able to post a pic of how you've done this would you?
    Luke
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    ovi wrote:
    That's a cracking deal. I see they're also selling carbon framesets for £289, which is bloody cheap. Must resist!
  • cmackem
    cmackem Posts: 22
    I had the same thoughts this time last year and bought a Merida Cyclo Cross 500, https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_gb/bike ... -3440.html , love it with some 28mm tyres on full proper mudguards, took off the silly top brake levers, and my Dolan stays safely in the garage away from the melting rain.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    bobones wrote:
    ovi wrote:
    That's a cracking deal. I see they're also selling carbon framesets for £289, which is bloody cheap. Must resist!
    Looks a steal if it's any good - anybody got any first hand experience of it? The old saying about 'if it's too good to be true' comes to mind but I might be over-cautious. Also, it looks like there are mudguard mounts but I didn't see any mention of them in my admittedly very quick look at the page.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    revere-black-side.jpg