Transporting Bikes

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited October 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

Looking for some advise on carrying bikes in a camper van/van, going to make a raised bed in the back so the bikes can go underneath it, I'm thinking with out the wheels in the frame so they take up as little room as I can get away with, my question is what will be the best way of fixing the bikes so they don't move about, prefer not to transport them upside down.

What have you tried and worked well, any advise is really welcome.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    What type of van is it? A lot depends on space. You need a large underfloor compartment which may take up too much space in the van, not something that I've ever seen done, may also scratch and damage bikes. On large vans a wooden panel is used to create a rear storage area where bikes are stored minus wheels. Other option is store it down one side of van, remove from wheel and attach to floor using a QR bracket, loosened stem bolts and turn bars.
  • iwilldoit
    JGTR wrote:
    What type of van is it? A lot depends on space. You need a large underfloor compartment which may take up too much space in the van, not something that I've ever seen done, may also scratch and damage bikes. On large vans a wooden panel is used to create a rear storage area where bikes are stored minus wheels. Other option is store it down one side of van, remove from wheel and attach to floor using a QR bracket, loosened stem bolts and turn bars.

Thanks for the reply JGTR, the van is a Renault master and as there will be 3 of us in it space is a little short, me and the misses will need a double so building the bed raised gives you a lot of room under it, when we have the enduro bikes in it as you say turn the bars and they take up next to no room, but when it's my sons DH racing we can't turn the bars and the other thing is security at a night in the pits.

Do you know if the QR brackets come in 15mm & 20mm, mind easy enough looking to make my self and use the bolt through axle to mix them into the bracket.

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of
    3s185vo.jpg
  • I would recommend using the anchors in the floor to strap the bikes down. If the anchors aren't there, there should be some nuts you can add anchors too.
    Be careful not to strap any carbon frames or the cables on the frames as this is not good for the life of your bike, see manufacturer's advice attached.
    https://auxtail.com/about/auto-draft-2/
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    I did something similar with a Citroen Relay but for Sailing.
    I did make the bed tall enough to store a bike underneath though. I had it with wheels on and had a strap from the bed down to the frame. It was only a rubbish MTB so didn't care if it moved around a bit.

As per your picture I reckon thats the best bet. Front wheels off and use the dropouts to lock down. I like the idea of sliding trays too.

I've got a couple of these to load bikes in my Discovery, just haven't got round to doing it yet.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Delta-Bike-Hit ... 46651.html
  • iwilldoit
    Thanks for the replies, trying to get as many opinions/ideas as I can so when I build it I do it once rather going through MkII & Mk III, lots and planning and thinking but I must admit I want to drive on and get going :lol: