Looking for the "ONE"

Mart85
Mart85 Posts: 6
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and new to road bikes (owned mountain bikes all my life). I hadn't actually ever ridden a road bike until recently and its the only one I've ever ridden.

I'm looking to sell my car and commute to work and buy a bike for this purpose but I only have space for one bike. I don't have the largest budget as I'm just starting this journey and I have a young family. I'm not really bothered about proper hardcore trails and jumps anymore but I do want a bike that I can take on rides out with my family along grassy/gravel/muddy tracks, forest trails etc. I know its the old cliche but I want as close to a "do it all" bike as I can get for my budget.

More importantly I want the bike to be fun to ride both on and off the road! I have friends with road bikes and I want to be able to keep up on the tarmac and actually enjoy riding this thing on the road every day to work (some off road short cuts). Come the weekend having the freedom to go on adventure rides with family and friends would be ideal so I'm not looking for an aggressive road or race thoroughbred.

I've been looking at adventure/gravel bikes for about 3 months now and read countless forum posts and reviews but still not pulled the trigger. Budget is limited, Ideally around £1000 (the boardman CX team seems to be the baseline measure of spec/cost.

So basically, is the boardman CX Team in its current guise the bike for me or should I spend a little more and get something that thrills me? I'm aware the wheels are heavy and I'd probably swap the tyres. G-ones?

I have been seriously tempted by a GT Grade Carbon 105 £1500 and a Cannondale Slate 105 £1300... but the boardman can be had for sub £800 and its hard to ignore that.

I'ts so easy to get led astray when bike shopping!"

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    The Boardman and GT are fantastic bikes.

However, if you don't mind, I would buy second hand and get much more bike for your money.

I saw a Spesh Crux on here for £500 odd. Very good bike and ticks all your boxes.

1x11 gearing is less maintenance than a 2x config and you'll not really run out of gears.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    This one will do everything you need - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -comp-bike

If its for commuting then you need full guards and get at least two rear lights on it. You can also festoon the mudguard with reflective tape.

Spend the leftovers on some lighter wheels and tyres for riding with your mates on the road. You really don't need to pay a grand for what you need. This also has enough gear range to keep up with the roadies. I'm not sure a single chainring is the best for that yet - and being honest - you'll be using the bike for road stuff - so why handicap yourself with cross gearing ?
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    You could also look at the London Road range from Planet X

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/roa ... ondon-road

Your budget will get you the SRAM Rival 2 x 11 speed version with hydraulic discs or for a tad over budget the 1 x 11 speed option. Rack and mudguard mounts and the ability to fit big tyres for any off road excursions

Plenty of fans on this thread if you are interested in practical experience and ownership

viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    With your criteria, I'd agree that CX bikes are a good fit. I'd probably get a CAAD X as I like Cannondale alloy bikes.
    You can get one with 105 for under £900 or £700 for Tiagra.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Planet X ali cx bike is well good value but a bit of a tank - not the lightest thing around, but so cheap that it doesn't matter in a weird kind of way.

I'm just going to thrash mine into the ground then chuck it away and get another.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How about one of those Planet X/On One things like H3 has got - brilliant value for money and utterly lovely.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.