Need some SRAM X0 advice....

imafatman
imafatman Posts: 351
edited October 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 2012 bike with a SRAM X0 groupset. A few years ago my LBS swapped out my cassette for some £20 Shimano thing and not knowing any better I went along with it. It's been horrible ever since but I put up with it as I was using it for commuting and leaving it in one smooth gear was enough to get me too and from work. I've also had a pretty bad crash with it and I think my derailleur might be bent.

I want to fix it up and use it on the local trails now and I need some advice on the best way to go about it.

1. What cassette + chain should I pick up that is reasonably priced but should shift and run nicely? Don't care about weight so much as shifting and smooth running.

2. If I do need to change the derailleur, is there anything out there which isn't ridiculous money? The X0 unit seems to be £180 ish... more than i want to spend.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    £20 Shimano cassettes work just as well as the £200 ones, the difference is in longevity (surface coating) and the weight of the component.

Sounds like it needed indexing after the cassette swap (or perhaps a spacer was missed) and that should fix it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.