'Bike for Life' - Titanium/Carbon/Steel??

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited October 2017 in Cyclocross
So, I turn 50 next year and am *hoping to be able to treat myself to a nice bike that I can keep for 10-20 years ...

It would be a 'gravel'/'adventure' type bike, with drop bars. Won't be using it for CX racing (except 3PCX), but hammering on local trails and longer, possibly multi-day adventures.

I've always been restricted by budget to fairly modest bikes (and certainly don't have lots of money to spend on this 'treat', which will likely be used rather than new), so have been limited to aluminium or cheap steel MTB's / CX bikes in the past. As I'm in the market for something a bit nicer, what should I be looking for in terms of frame material.

I think my number one choice would be Titanium, but is it a 'frame for life' (is it going to withstand 10-20 years of off-road abuse?) How does it compare in terms of comfort and weight?

And what are the differences between 'budget' Ti and the more premium end? Are all Ti frames created equal, or are, for example, the On One Pickenflick / Sonder Camino Ti frames of a lower quality than say the Kinesis ATR?

What about Carbon? Strong and light, I get, but could I reasonably expect to get 15-20 years out of a carbon frame? Is it going to be suitable for bike-packing etc?

And what about Steel? Can you get a Steel frame that is in spitting distance of other materials in terms of weight? I'm not looking for the lightest bike, but unless there is a reasonable difference between the weight of this bike and my current one (Saracen Hack) then is there much point? (I realise part of the weight consideration is in having better quality & lighter components).

Or should I stick with quality Aluminium? The new Kinesis Tripster AT Al (or the Crosslight Disc) would be potential contenders, but do they offer enough advantage over what I already have? Are they going to last 15+ years?

Cheers ...

(Also posted in MTB section)

Comments

• Only steel... Aluminium has fatigue and cracks, same with Ti - I've seen bottom bracket shells separated from frame...
    Steel can rust, but there are manufacturers who put some sort of protective coating (for example All-City Spacehorse), plus you can treat it before first use.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Ti can crack. Then you're buggered.

CF can be repaired pretty cheaply now - and wasn't one of the round the world bike rides set on a planet x dirty disco CF bike ? If it can cope with the world - then it should be pretty durable.

http://road.cc/content/news/59716-inter ... record-kit

Aah Mike Hall. RIP fella.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I have a Ti road frame which I have had for 7 years and absolutely love it, still looks new (when I clean it).

However, my Dad has the same frame and has recently had it cracked (fixed under warranty) and I don't think this is uncommon with cheaper Ti frames. If you get a Ti try and get a life time warranty.

I do like the ride feel of carbon, I think from an engineering perspective it is superior, but for that something special its Ti. I also think that with carbon being painted it often picks up scratches etc... in the paint, especially offroad. My carbon cross bike is only a year old and already looking tired (but still performs fantastically!).