Winter tyres, maybe Schwalbe Durano

2»

Comments

• Schwalbe Durano - new bike (Scott Solace) came with these on (raceguard) in 28's. Not sure if it's the bike or the tyre, but really comfortable ride. They have lost traction on a couple of super steep/twisty/wet descents. No problems at other times, but lost a bit of confidence with them because of this. Not really had them long enough to comment about punctures/durability, but fine so far after a couple of hundred miles.

Conti GP4S - Have these on my older bike (Giant Defy) in 25's - still comfortable, but not quite same as 28's on a carbon bike. Puncture protection is good until they start to go, but then I had a flurry with my last set when they were towards the end of their life.

Michelin Pro4 - I used the Pro4 Grip version of these over the past 2 winters. Grip was good, zero punctures. I had them in 23's to help with mudguard clearance which did mean the ride with them was quite harsh. I picked up a cheap twinpack of Pro4 SC 25's from Decathlon - I'll put them on when the GP4S need replacing.

Also had Vittoria Rubino Pro's before which I used for commuting as they were cheap. I cycled in all weathers for commuting and they were good until the roads got really wet - I don't tend to ride for leisure now in the torrential rain though.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    yes i do find them lacking in the grip department. I find that with all of schwables road tyres including there tubeless pro one even though most think they are grippy, I just want more and do not accept less. Last winter was the first time I had tyres (tubeless so not relevent to this thread) that gripped in the cold and wet yet managed high miles.

The only clincher for tubes that worked for me over winter was the 30mm challange strada bianca however that is too big for many bikes. It gripped pretty well, was very comfortable and did not puncture. It lasted well too. If you have room get a pair.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    yes i do find them lacking in the grip department. I find that with all of schwables road tyres including there tubeless pro one even though most think they are grippy, I just want more and do not accept less. Last winter was the first time I had tyres (tubeless so not relevent to this thread) that gripped in the cold and wet yet managed high miles.

The only clincher for tubes that worked for me over winter was the 30mm challange strada bianca however that is too big for many bikes. It gripped pretty well, was very comfortable and did not puncture. It lasted well too. If you have room get a pair.

Try Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather, I had good experience with those grip and durability wise. Not quick tyre mind, but they might have newer models, i've not checked in a while. I think there is 28mm version available now. Switched to Schwalbe One for some extra easiness of rolling and the fishtails on wet descents are scary
  • jpower
    jpower Posts: 554
    Durano's in the house, just getting them on, first fitted on with no trouble (like that).

Tyre pressure on carbon rims???
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    jpower wrote:
    Durano's in the house, just getting them on, first fitted on with no trouble (like that).

What width are they? How heavy are you? What are you roads like? Do the rims have a stated limit?
  • Conti 4seasons....never had a problem with punctures, grip, wear, feel etc
  • jpower
    Alex99 wrote:
    jpower wrote:

What width are they? How heavy are you? What are you roads like? Do the rims have a stated limit?

25's, 71kg, roads true mixture (Chilterns), not sure about rim stated limit have emailed wheel smiths to check.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Schwalbe Durano are great tires, I marginally prefer Conti 4 seasons, but it's close run thing. You could also try Gatorskins which think are faster than DD and Plus. They are all good tires tho.

Road = Schwalbe and Continental.
    MTB = Maxxis and Schwalbe.
  • jpower wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    jpower wrote:

25's, 71kg, roads true mixture (Chilterns), not sure about rim stated limit have emailed wheel smiths to check.

FFT tyre cal says ballpark ~69/104PSI, for total weight of you and bike of 82Kg with 40% weight on front wheel, with tyre measuring 25mm.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jpower
    Thanks will start with 85/95 and hopefully make my way down a little.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    jpower wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    jpower wrote:

80 front, 90 rear would be my suggestion. You're a bit lighter than me but my tyres are bit fatter, I'm happy with 80/90 for the most part.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Alex99 wrote:
    jpower wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    jpower wrote:

80 front, 90 rear would be my suggestion. You're a bit lighter than me but my tyres are bit fatter, I'm happy with 80/90 for the most part.

I rode 70\80 on Durano Plus 25s when I was 3kg heavier than you, with no issues - now 7kg lighter than you, but will likely still stick to those pressures - seemed a good balance between comfort and speed, but will tinker if need be.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jpower
    85/95 - Felt a little too hard, will drop pressure on the next run.

Tyre itself felt good, it was dry today but did go via some gravel tracks.