Stronger, Longer lasting handlebar tape?

mikesmyth11
mikesmyth11 Posts: 15
edited October 2017 in Road beginners
posting in MTB and Road yet again for this one as my new bike isn't a road bike nor is it just a mountain bike either!
Fargo_GX_29_Cream-2.jpg

Ive got this amazing 2017 salsa fargo, ive put roughly 80 miles on the bike in the last two weeks, id say mostly road, but when i DO go offroad im no slow poke, SO the stock gel cork salsa bar tape does not hold up to my offroad abuse. it unwound and became loose yesterday on the trail. pretty annoying! So now im looking at two BROOKS of england products. their Rubber type and their leather type tape. I think the rubber tape is the way to go as i dont want to worry about leather deteriorating, which is why i would get one of their composite rubber seats apposed to the leather seats from brooks as well.

Any Experience with the rubber bar tape from brooks? they say its not as comfortable as cork/gel/most but i am new to drop bars and im sure it will just be fine. the other complaint ive seen is the rubber tape is considered short in length and people have had trouble wrapping their whole bar? any info would be great and if you think there is a better product let me know! thanks again!

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Try Lizard Skin..

BTW there is a cross section in road which this might suit better...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's not been wrapped properly. If done correctly it won't be unravelled so soon. No matter how radical your rides are...
  • cougie wrote:
    It's not been wrapped properly. If done correctly it won't be unravelled so soon. No matter how radical your rides are...
    OK i still have to take my bike back to the shop for its free first tune up, maybe they can just re-wrap them and hopefully do a better job this time around, im brand new to drop bars so i just re wrapped it hastily on the trail and it looks/feels like crap haha
    TheFD wrote:
    Try Lizard Skin..

BTW there is a cross section in road which this might suit better...

thanks for the tip.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I get years and 1000s of miles out of my tape. Top tip is to always choose black and then it doesn't show the dirt.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Alternate approach — Learn to wrap bars yourself + use cork bar tape. (The big online shops usually have heavily discounted offerings and/or BBB is high value-for-money bar tape.) Replace as needed and you have well-wrapped, fresh bar tape for relatively little expense.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    The Lifeline pro stuff from Wiggle is really excellent. Feels a bit like lizardskinz but not quite so squeaky. Lasts a LOT longer. About 1/4 of the price.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Cork bar tape is always good, but my all time favourite is Specialized Roubaix tape.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Lizard Skins. Even without gloves its grippy.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • I'm a fan of the thicker 3.2mm Lizard Skins tape.
  • cougie wrote:
    Harry182 wrote:
    Alternate approach — Learn to wrap bars yourself.
    These. I learned to wrap my bars in an afternoon - bought a set of cheap tapes to practice with (under a fiver) thinking I'd make a complete apse (sic) of it. That tape is still on there 9 months later...

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... -drop-bars