FoD Parking

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited November 2017 in MTB general
Fork me, they've had a bit of a sharp price rise. It was about £3 a few months ago for a day, now it's £7.50
Does anything from the charges go in to the trails?

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I know. It shocked me last time I went.
    Not sure who gets the cash from the parking machines: maybe drop the cycle centre an e-mail and ask them?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    I had to sell my car to pay for a parking ticket.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I always thought £3 was steep and make a point of parking up at Cannop Ponds. It's an extra mile to the trail head and FREE .
  • Figure it's about encouraging people to buy the annual discovery pass (£30).

The bit that breaks me is that that isn't an annual pass for all FC sites, that is just for the FC sites in the forest of dean
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Figure it's about encouraging people to buy the annual discovery pass (£30).

The bit that breaks me is that that isn't an annual pass for all FC sites, that is just for the FC sites in the forest of dean
    Yeah, imagine the chaos if different regions spoke to each other and tried to work together to sort something out?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Figure it's about encouraging people to buy the annual discovery pass (£30).

Indeed, the new pricing makes the pass a no-brainer if you go at all regularly.

Re parking at other sites, the downside is that your car may be more vulnerable to thieves. The advantage of Pedalabikeaway is it's always busy (and there's always someone with nicer kit too).
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    I bought a pass today and got 13 months for the price of 12. Bargwin.
  • I believe at Glentress and other 7 stanes sites the parking money goes back into the facilities so therefore I don't grudge paying for parking. Where else would you get such great facilities for so little money!? £5 and you can play all day. I'd pay a tenner and not think twice about it.

Hobbies cost money.

I would have assumed that other forestry commission sites would operate on a similar basis. Maybe it's different south of the border?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

The majority of car parks in the Forest of Dean are free of charge. The main sites have Pay and Display machines in the car parks. The money raised is essential for the maintenance of the visitor sites and for future improvements. Please see individual site pages for the pricing structures.

Please bring the correct change with you, unfortunately credit card facilities are not available at the ticket machines due to poor mobile phone coverage.

Please note that parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.

Regular visitors may like to consider purchasing a Discovery Pass for the Forest of Dean. This is valid at all of the sites for a year and is priced at just £30. The pass also includes a discount card with various offers from site partners.

As has been pointed out - it's still pretty cheap for a days fun. How much money do we spend on bikes and kit and then balk at paying for the upkeep of where we ride ? This makes no sense.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Dalby is now £8 per car season pass is £50,and they don't seem to have much interest to develop the trails or that much maintainance,and the place is so bland and it has so much potential there is a lot of up and down,Dalby Bike Barn/Pace Cycles have now pulled out of the shop in forrest through disillusionment with the Forrest Commission,with their lack of interest/commitment to develop the forest
    I only ever ride there in the winter when everywhere else is bogged out,there is some really cool unmarked trails in there that make up for the bland
  • rockmonkeysc
    I wouldn't mind the FoD parking charge of some of that money went to maintain the trails which attract so many people there every weekend.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I wouldn't mind the FoD parking charge of some of that money went to maintain the trails which attract so many people there every weekend.

Sounds about the same as Dalby,Hamsterly on the other hand have spent over the last few years and really improved a lot
  • rockmonkeysc
    Windhill has free parking and £7.00 a day to ride. That may be the same cost but a good percentage of that goes to the trails which are absolutely awesome.
  • Most places such as FOD and BPW will uses a proportion of the car parking money to go towards trail maintenance.
  • rockmonkeysc
    None of the FoD parking charge goes towards the trails.