Ride London logistics

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
My other half has been roped into a charity spot for Ride London next year. I said I would help with the organising.

Main concern I think is going to be getting to and from the start.

They are planning on staying near the start of at all possible the night before - but of course this isn't that close to the finish.

What do people do with overnight bags etc? How do these get to the end?

How do people generally get out of London after the ride? Train/drive? Road closures must make this difficult?

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Where do you live?

As for how to transport your stuff, you can drop a bag (they issue these, they aren't huge, more a normal plastic shopping bag size) at the start and they'll transport it to the finish where you can collect it.
  • clanton
    We live in Bookham
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mate did it last year. Was going to ride back to the start but after relaxing at the finish he jumped a cab with his family.
  • The times I have done it I booked a hotel near the finish and rode to the start. Its not that far and easy to find; simply follow the crowds. I'd booked the hotel for the Sunday night too and travelled back home the day after.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,591
    Yeah it’s a pain.

Book a hotel near the Excel. Short ride to the start and not that far afterwards. Stay a second night or leave the family at 5am and they can pack the car and meet you at the end? If alone then pack the car at 5am and take a small bag for the bag drop. It all sounds hard but it works out easy :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've done it twice - staying in my van parked on the roadside, south of the river. First one was on Clapham Common - not the most restful of nights - the second was outside a family friends house near ther Rotherhithe tunnel.

Simple & cheap - although probably a better nights sleep to be had in a hotel or B&B bed ...

You don't need to take much stuff to the start - if it's a reasonable ride then perhaps a disposable bottle of water/juice. If it's wet and will dry up shortly then I've seen people wear binbags to keep themselves dry before the ride.
    I have seen jumpers & fleeces discarded in the start area - I guess people thought they'd get cold whilst standing around waiting to start.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    My journey home was 120 miles, so I booked Saturday and Sunday in the hotel. My son (who rode with me) had to get back on Sunday night, but I enjoyed not having to go anywhere and it meant we could all come back and have a shower.

Getting to the start and from the finish were not difficult, we rode each of these. But I have to say that getting to the start was a little stressful on both the occasions that I've done it. I really planned the route, but once you're IN the park, all that goes out the window, and it's a maze of lane and paths.

On the way back you have to remember that you're no longer on closed roads and everyone is trying to kill you just like normal, only more so, because they've been stuck in traffic because of the event :roll:

I didn't take anything to the start, there would have been little point as I had over an hour's wait after I had entered my wave and the bags have to be dropped off before then.

But IF there's a next time, I will take some clothing I can throw away. I feel the cold (a medical thing), but I didn't anticipate just how cold I'd get at the start. Luckily, I found one of the discarded fleeces mentioned above. I was shivering by then, and if it had rained too, I think I might not have made it to the start.

The older I get, the better I was.

• harry-s
    harry-s Posts: 295
    I've ridden it 3 times now, and I'm based in Kingston, so not too far from you.
    I've tried a few permutations, but found the easiest way was to get a cab to somewhere nearby for the start, just south of the Blackwall tunnel isn't a bad drop. It's about a 15 minute ride to the start from there. It's going to depend a bit on your fitness, but riding back works well, - the route will still be open, so it's a spin along the closed and almost empty roads.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Capt Slog wrote:
    But I have to say that getting to the start was a little stressful on both the occasions that I've done it. I really planned the route, but once you're IN the park, all that goes out the window, and it's a maze of lane and paths.
    Route to the park is simple - just find a road near one of the carparks and it's well signposted - and you'll be riding with a few hundred others - only issue with this is that everyone will be going different speeds so you need to be cautious.
    Once you're in the olympic park - it's very well signposted ..
    Capt Slog wrote:
    On the way back you have to remember that you're no longer on closed roads and everyone is trying to kill you just like normal, only more so, because they've been stuck in traffic because of the event :roll:
    Can't say we had any issue - either time - again, just ride cautiously and curteously ...
    Capt Slog wrote:
    I didn't take anything to the start, there would have been little point as I had over an hour's wait after I had entered my wave and the bags have to be dropped off before then.

But IF there's a next time, I will take some clothing I can throw away. I feel the cold (a medical thing), but I didn't anticipate just how cold I'd get at the start. Luckily, I found one of the discarded fleeces mentioned above. I was shivering by then, and if it had rained too, I think I might not have made it to the start.
    Good point!
  • I've put my name down for the 2018 ballott, not sure if my riding partner has as he currently has issues at home.

I'm sure if I get a place I'll wing it as usual.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • From Bookham with two of you the cheapest and easiest option is to cab it.

Going home get the train

From Epsom I cabbed it and then rode back - got more respect for those 20 miles than the other 100
  • clanton
    Helpful replies - thanks!
    I won't be riding as will be on sprog duty with the wife away! Hopefully we can find a spot to wave at her she goes past us.