Specialized Roubaix Wheel/Tire Recommendations

usmc93
usmc93 Posts: 7
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I have a 2017 Specialized Roubaix Elite with stock Axis Elite Disc wheels on Turbo Pro tires. Considering upgrading to either tubeless tires on the stock Axis rims or total upgrade of wheel and tire set to something nicer/lighter. The only thing I have looked at are Specialized's Roval CLX32. I am somewhat new to road cycling after many years but am racking up the miles already and ride on various road types and some long rides, so the amount of choices and sizes/types is a bit overwhelming. Fortunately cost is not a big issue for me but if the difference in ride/comfort is negligible I may just stay the course. Any brand recommendations are appreciated.

Comments

• Given the Roubaix disc now no longer has the SCS wheel system (which used to mean upgrade options were very limited), then the world is your oyster!
    The comfort you feel is probably maximised from the characteristics of the frame, with the suspension features integrated into it. The only advantage you might get from an upgrade in wheels may be increased stiffness from carbon rims, and if your stock wheels are anything like the old Axis 2.0 wheels on my old Roubaix (since sold!), then you'll get a significant weight advantage.
    I managed to get some of these for less than £300, so a bit of a bargain, and I've had no real problems.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/pro-lite-revo-a ... -wheelset/

Not sure if they represent such a bargain now at over £400 on Wiggle.

This thread has pages of discussion on disc wheels (at a certain price point) viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13041962
  • Thanks for the info, I will check out those, i am also looking at a few options from MAVIC