Info Needed: 2004 GT Zaskar Expert vs. New Cheap Options

TwistedHalo
TwistedHalo Posts: 3
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
So, beyond riding trick bikes as a kid, I am completely new to riding. I want to pick up a new mountain bike. But, as my budget is extremely limited, and I want to make sure I like it before I shell out big bucks, I don't have much money to spend. I was originally looking to spend about $250 on a new low end mountain bike. But, I decided to check out craigslist to see what I could find. I came across this (supposedly) lightly used 2004 GT Zaskar Expert that the internet tells me retailed for $1000 when it came out, for $200. Being that I really don't know anything about the subject I figured I would post this question to the fine ladies and gentlemen of this forum. If the GT is actually in really good shape, am I getting more bang for my buck paying $200 for it than I am if I pay $200-300 for a new bike? Or has technology caught up enough that the new cheapo will be just as good? Thanks for any responses in advance!

Craigslist: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d ... 25632.html

Bicycle Bluebook page: https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/SearchL ... odel=55029

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You aren't going to get a mountain bike you can do more than pootle down gravel tracks on for under about $500 new.

The Zaskar is a great bike, well specced for its age and worth putting extra money into at a later date.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    You aren't going to get a mountain bike you can do more than pootle down gravel tracks on for under about $500 new.

The Zaskar is a great bike, well specced for its age and worth putting extra money into at a later date.

Thanks. I pulled the trigger and actually talked the guy down to $170. Seems to be in really good shape. I'll take it in for a tune up and hit the trails!