Mini bike stands (Aldi)

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
Does anyone use a mini bike stand to hold their bikes while cleaning? Are they sturdy enough? Does the bike fall over or spring out? Tempted by the Aldi one for £15:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bikemate-mini-bi ... 8148946900

Comments

• mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Not used the one from Aldi but I use this for storage and light duty maintenance and cleaning. The 26" wheel version is fine for a 700C road bike.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-metal-b ... lay-stand/
  • Using Wiggle link above, this was a link to another option...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/feedback-sports ... igodigital

Now where have I seen that recently for less than half the price? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Using Wiggle link above, this was a link to another option...

The patented design easily holds front or rear wheel without the risk of scratching rim or spokes.

Not patented that well then I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Daniel B wrote:
    Using Wiggle link above, this was a link to another option...

The patented design easily holds front or rear wheel without the risk of scratching rim or spokes.

Not patented that well then I guess.

Just unboxed my Aldi one and it's identical. Quite impressed with it....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • jmccabe
    jmccabe Posts: 28
    I can't really tell you how good it is for maintenance etc, but I've got a similar sort of thing, like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marko-Storage- ... B01HXR2SDE. I got it for £12.99 from the local random crap shop and it seems ok. To be honest, I took a look at the Aldi one in the shop and it looks a bit weird where your wheel sits; the one I've got seems like it spreads the pressure a bit more so, even though I need a couple more, I'm holding out for the local shop to get more of the same ones I've got rather than going with the Aldi ones. Saying that, having the joining brackets looks like a good idea!
  • Hi

I just bought one for that exact purpose and used it yesterday for the first time. Does the job provided its on level ground, but find that you naturally hold bike with one hand if doing any cleaning that puts more pressure on the bike. Also use in garage to hold my "currently used" bike rather than leaning up/hanging up as its easier/less faff when grabbing for a ride and doesnt mean I have to worry about scratching etc.

William

ps - also bought one of their rechargable back lights - stonking value
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have 6 of the Feedback ones, although 3 are still boxed and could still be returned to Halfords as I only got them recently.

When I saw the ALDI ones online, I ordered 4 thinking that I would take back the 3 boxed feedback ones and save a bundle.

The ALDI ones are identical to the casual observer, but if you have them side by side, the quality of the ALDI ones is not quite up there with Feedback which seems superbly engineered. It probably wouldnt matter in real use but little things like the spring tension & stop point and the pieces which join multiple racks together which are loose and rattle around on the ALDI ones but are tight on the rubber feet and move much better on the Feedback.

Prior to discovering feedback, I had a few of the Halfords version of that X-Tools one, with the forked top to go around the wheel axle. I was perfectly happy with them although having to lift the bike on and be precise took a (very) small amount of effort each time you put the bike on one. The problem started when I got a road bike with flat mount disk calipers. The forked top wouldnt work because there wasnt enough space around the angle to insert it. So I looked around and got my first Feedback Rakk. They are great - so much better. Bike is more stable because it is a heavier base, with wider feet. Never slips out. Just push the bike in and it takes care of itself. Because it holds the wheel at multiple points you can use it on front wheel as well as back although back is more stable. Then when you join multiple together, using the swivel of the joining plate to stagger them and avoid handlebar clash. They really are superb, for a bike rack...

Used it for cleaning all the time and never had any issue with it not being stable.

I think anyone would be happy with the ALDI ones and have no problem at all.

I cant decide whether to keep my Feedback ones and return the ALDI ones, or stick to the cheaper plan of returning my unused Feedback ones. ALDI ones are perfectly fine but when you have tasted the sweetness of the real deal and have them side by side, and its not like I NEED to penny pinch, I might just stick with what I had. I did get a cheap deal on the Feedback though - around £27, so less than some outlets.
  • daniel_b
    Nice tip on using the front wheel - had not even occurred to me and I was thinking it would be useless for bikes with full guards :oops:

If I was in your position, I'd go for a few of each, and bank the savings.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    No problem with my mudguards at all.
  • daniel_b
    apreading wrote:
    No problem with my mudguards at all.

Ah ok, not used one in anger yet, does it not try and clamp\rest on\support the rear wheel, so if there is a mudguard, it just sits on that instead does it?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • apreading
    It doesnt go anywhere near my mudguard on this bike:

26227838300_e9316da24b_b.jpg

If you guard went really low or had a low hanging flap on the end then it might but its certainly not a problem for me.

Look here:

IMG_4193.JPG

The 'spinner' seems to line up roughly with the rear axle, so as long as your mudguard doesnt come lower than that.
  • daniel_b
    Nice, should be fine then - ta!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    I was about to ask about bike stands as I need five individual ones, so cost is an issue.
    We need the space between racks and also need to store them echelon formation. Expensive wheels so wall hooks not an option.
    These racks looked too loose for road bikes but the pictured post here suggests they are fine?
    Aldi it is then unless anyone has a better idea?
  • apreading
    I got 3 road bikes in mine (the Feedback version) along with several MTBs and a hybrid, with alternate bikes facing opposite direction to minimise gaps between them and staggered using the revolving attachments so that flat bars dont clash with saddle of bikes next to each other.

Feedback actually do a wider rack/spinny bit for fat bikes, but the standard one is fine for anything else.
  • apreading
    Just an update - drove into work yesterday and brought my ALDI stands home. Put one in the garage side by side with the Feedback stands and carried out a clinical comparison.

The ALDI ones are actually really well made. The swivel plate for attaching two racks together was looser on the ALDI one as said, but I bent the metal closer together and its just the same as the Feedback now.

The only differences of note in the end were:

1 The ALDI stand actually has a better clip for releasing the spring loaded arm than the Feedback, which was a bit fiddly, but hey you only use this when setting up the first time or if putting away for storage.

2 The ALDI one, the spring arm moves through a longer arc if pushed. This makes no difference in practice because once the wheel settles in the base, it doesnt push the arm any further.

3 The ALDI one is not quite as stable. There is more sideways sway in the swing arm when you have a bike on it. Not enough to be a problem but it doesnt feel as solid as the feedback. I think I have worked out where you could add a 5mm thick washer and make it more stable if you wanted to modify it though.

So I am going to keep my Feedback stands because they are slightly nicer, but I think I will keep at least 1 of the ALDI ones and take the others back. I can afford the extra so dont need to penny pinch but there is nothing wrong with the ALDI ones as long as you dont mind them being a little more wobbly or doing a small modification.
  • Jerry185
    Timely and helpful, thanks
    Now trying to get hold of Aldi ones as they only supply in store
  • yes, there great
  • tomb57
    tomb57 Posts: 2,043
    After rereading this thread shot down to Aldi yesterday to pick one up
    Tried it out very good, look forward to using it more, wife even happier
    As I won’t be using one of her plant and an ornament as a bike stand.
    Whoops who did that!
  • Jerry185
    Now have five of them. Thanks apreading, for saving me over £100 :D:D:D:D
  • Thanks from me too got an Aldi one last week, much better that the drop the axle/edge of hub in forked top type which kept popping the plastic cover of my ultegra hubbed wheels.