Redjet - Southampton<->Cowes & bikes

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited September 2017 in Road general
Anyone know if you can take bikes on the Redjet ferry service?
Not looking to go at peak/commuter times - just fancy taking the lad on a ride on the IoW and Redjet is a quick way to get there... providing you can take bikes!

Comments

• Not done it for a couple of years but always used to be able to. Same with Wightlink from Portsmouth to Ryde Pier.

Obviously both Red Funnel and Wightlink will take bikes on the car ferries as well which doubles the journey time but does get you there!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    6a010536fd0d91970c01116896cfc6970c-800wi
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • slowbike
    Cycles: There are ample cycle racks along Town Quay. Only foldable cycles in covers can be taken onboard the Red Jet service.
    That'll be a no then ... arse.
  • As I said, plenty of options with Wightlink and the Red Funnel car ferry.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • slowbike
    As I said, plenty of options with Wightlink and the Red Funnel car ferry.
    yup - i know - redjet was just a handy option for take-off/landing points ...
  • Certainly something to think about on the island side as if the new chain ferry isn't running (again) then you'll be planning an interesting route that will probably take in Newport.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • the Cowes floating bridge isn't running, but the replacement foot passenger ferry took bikes for no extra cost. If it has to be southampton then the red funnel is your only option. Shame as it very slow.

If Portsmouth is an option you can take bikes on all wight link ferries for no extra cost including the fastcat (best option). You can also take them on hover travel, but they only have one or two spots, and they get blasted by seawater on the outside so not recommended.
  • slowbike
    Litle SB is only 2 - so wanted to get to Cowes and use the flat routes south via Newport - I know about the chainferry being out - which is why Redjet was the desired choice ... Wightlink is an option - but you've got the main road between Fishbourne and Newport/Cowes to negotiate - not worried if it was just me and the wife - but no fun for little SB too as I know the roads are narrow.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I believe the hovercraft takes bikes on a first come, first served basis, 2 per trip. They go on the outside somehow or other. As quick as anything as well and good fun!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    Rolf F wrote:
    I believe the hovercraft takes bikes on a first come, first served basis, 2 per trip. They go on the outside somehow or other. As quick as anything as well and good fun!

yer - but not sure I want the bikes covered in salt ... been on the hovercraft before ... great fun - especially in a F6 and landing on priory bay beach (planned).

Will think of doing Yarmouth to Freshwater - that's relatively flat too and can take the Lym-Yar ferry which does take bikes :)
  • Grab a bike cover or two from Aldi for the hovercraft trip. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo