Hugh Hefner

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited September 2017 in The cake stop
Dead

Think what you like about him and his morals but he was undoubtedly the living embodiment of that quote from Spinal Tap "Have a good time, all the time!"

Comments

  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    oxoman wrote:
    He certainly lived life to the full and opened up people's perceptions of women he also had a breed of rabbit named after him apparently.

    yeah he certainly opened up women for certain.

    he was the GodFather of hard core porn, not the sexual revolution.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Dead

    Think what you like about him and his morals but he was undoubtedly the living embodiment of that quote from Spinal Tap "Have a good time, all the time!"

    couldnt agree more ..... he live to a good age, doing exactly what made him happy .. all the time ... fair play to him
  • mamba80 wrote:
    he was the GodFather of hard core porn, not the sexual revolution.
    Soft core or just porn I'd agree with you but hard core is another thing. Not to say that porn of any hardness doesn't cause harm but I disagree about the severity of Hefner's life's work.

    Besides there's nastier ppl from around his time in the porn business / porn media business to claim the godfather of hard core porn title. I think one even claimed it himself.
  • His life seems to have descended into that of a rather sad control freak and sex addict. I doubt he was happy.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    mamba80 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    He certainly lived life to the full and opened up people's perceptions of women he also had a breed of rabbit named after him apparently.

    yeah he certainly opened up women for certain.

    he was the GodFather of hard core porn, not the sexual revolution.

    If you think Playboy is hardcore, then I need to send you some links!
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • All erections at half mast today please.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,365
    All erections at half mast today please.
    :lol:

    I suppose a few teenage boys owe Mr. Hefner a debt of gratitude for effectively inventing ahem 'top shelf' mags.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • joe2008
    joe2008 Posts: 1,531
    mamba80 wrote:

    he was the GodFather of hard core porn

    :D

    more the Grandfather of soft porn
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    He certainly lived life to the full and opened up people's perceptions of women he also had a breed of rabbit named after him apparently.

    yeah he certainly opened up women for certain.

    he was the GodFather of hard core porn, not the sexual revolution.

    If you think Playboy is hardcore, then I need to send you some links!

    ha ha but of course PB isnt HC (though in its day i bet it was seen as such) but he boasted he was the grandfather of the 60s sexual revolution...... i would contend that PB and its ilk was the forerunner to the HC stuff we ve got now.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    mamba80 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    He certainly lived life to the full and opened up people's perceptions of women he also had a breed of rabbit named after him apparently.

    yeah he certainly opened up women for certain.

    he was the GodFather of hard core porn, not the sexual revolution.

    If you think Playboy is hardcore, then I need to send you some links!

    ha ha but of course PB isnt HC (though in its day i bet it was seen as such) but he boasted he was the grandfather of the 60s sexual revolution...... i would contend that PB and its ilk was the forerunner to the HC stuff we ve got now.

    So you're saying he kicked the doors down that allowed Rocco and Max Hardcore to come along later and smash the backdoors in?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Shortfall wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    He certainly lived life to the full and opened up people's perceptions of women he also had a breed of rabbit named after him apparently.

    yeah he certainly opened up women for certain.

    he was the GodFather of hard core porn, not the sexual revolution.

    If you think Playboy is hardcore, then I need to send you some links!

    ha ha but of course PB isnt HC (though in its day i bet it was seen as such) but he boasted he was the grandfather of the 60s sexual revolution...... i would contend that PB and its ilk was the forerunner to the HC stuff we ve got now.

    So you're saying he kicked the doors down that allowed Rocco and Max Hardcore to come along later and smash the backdoors in?

    .... exactly! much like the Pennyfarthing lead to the Trek Speedconcept.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,427
    I'm pretty sure porn that was probably more hardcore than Playboy existed back in the Victorian era. You could argue the invention of the camera brought it about, before that people had to make do with an artists impression. Take a look at the paintwork on old Greek pottery if you want to see serious hardcore images!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Pross wrote:
    I'm pretty sure porn that was probably more hardcore than Playboy existed back in the Victorian era. You could argue the invention of the camera brought it about, before that people had to make do with an artists impression. Take a look at the paintwork on old Greek pottery if you want to see serious hardcore images!

    I know the ancient Greeks and Romans were famed for their debauchery but I ain't seen any frescos depicting some of the stuff Rocco gets up to!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Pross wrote:
    I'm pretty sure porn that was probably more hardcore than Playboy existed back in the Victorian era. You could argue the invention of the camera brought it about, before that people had to make do with an artists impression. Take a look at the paintwork on old Greek pottery if you want to see serious hardcore images!

    .... and i though the yellowing of those vases was due to aging....

    yep tech plays it part of course but my point was HH liked to portray himself as this good time guy who liberated women and unleashed their inner desire, where as he played a far bigger part (so to speak!) in making all the orifices of a woman available to men.
  • Despite what mumsnet would have you believe, none of the women gracing the cover of Playboy were forced into it (even the tenuous ones like Cindy Crawford gave their consent) … Sexual revolutionary>Career maker>Inconsequential ... He done more good than bad for the women that took his opportunity (magazine-wise) …
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    type:epyt wrote:
    He done more good than bad for the women that took his opportunity (magazine-wise) …

    What about women on the whole?
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Ben6899 wrote:
    type:epyt wrote:
    He done more good than bad for the women that took his opportunity (magazine-wise) …

    What about women on the whole?

    thats an odd one, europe has led the way with hc porn.

    yet gender equality is also way ahead in countries like Sweden, Holland etc

    back in the 90s, i used to be totally amazed by the stuff on the lower shelves in a Stockholm newsagents, where as in the UK this sort of stuff would get you a criminal record....

    i d ask my GF why Sweden allows this and she said "its out in the open, everyone has a choice, in the UK you hide it and the women who get into porn can be exploited"
  • Hugh Hefner has said in interviews that it was about selling s e x. I guess through SC porn but they were still sexual images.

    As far as Sweden / Norway / Denmark goes and idea that putting it out into the open has any role in their gender equality is a bit overstating it or ridiculous whichever way you look at it. They've got gender equality for other reasons and I reckon it goes back a long time in some form or other. Look at Viking sagas and myths. The viking women fought with the men in many cases as equals. Shieldmaidens appear often. There are even women leaders I read somewhere. Also re-examining a well known warrior burial (assumption based on high grade weapons buried with the body) they did a DNA test and found out it was a woman. The bones weren't clear with the gender due to damage IIRC. The burial indicated status and warrior status too but had some other items that suggested leadership and strategy.

    I'm only saying there's more reasons behind equality in some cultures and I bet it dates back a long way to a different cultural development.

    Hefner was a money making publisher. There was no more good in that than Murdoch and his publishing empire, or indeed any others. His porn was the USP at the time. There's no liberation factor just as there is no arch oppressor / exploiter story behind his life. He did exploit though and he did help others in their career through employment. Business innit!
  • I would also like to point out one thing. Will you be making as big a deal about other business leaders in other sectors / markets when they die?

    He's had too much attention IMHO for what he did.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,484
    I would also like to point out one thing. Will you be making as big a deal about other business leaders in other sectors / markets when they die?

    Hate to break it to you, but people were so upset the CEO of the biggest firm in the world dying that they made TWO hollywood films about him.

    So yes, people probably do, on the whole.
  • One leader who did change things for the better. Worthy of the fuss IMHO. How many other leaders do you know about with the Hefner effect of causing such comment online? You named one who arguably had a positive effect on the modern world. What positive effect did Hefner have to earn this?

    Any others? 2 business leaders so far. If it's a common thing that I've missed then on but tbh it's over the top with Hefner. Just like how life and persona I guess.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Any others? .

    Ray Kroc - revolutionised the fast food industry and they made a film about him
  • fat daddy wrote:
    Any others? .

    Ray Kroc - revolutionised the fast food industry and they made a film about him
    Who? I missed the thread about his death on BR forum. Was he in the celebrity death pool and his own thread about what he did for society while earning lots and lots of hard dosh with dubious morals?
  • I was surprised to hear the Radio 3 news saying that "he claimed to have slept with over 1000 women". Normally the only suggestion of sex on Radio 3 is in opera.