Canyon unpainted grey/black frames

dkr17
dkr17 Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Anyone out there with a Canyon Ultimate/Aeroad/etc in unpainted grey/black?

I just splashed out on an Ultimate and am disappointed to see blemish (colour variation and markings) on seat tube and down tube. It's not surface damage, it's within the frame material. The rest of the bike is perfect uniform colour.

Canyon say: "The blemishes you are seeing on the bike are simply carbon finishes and are common on a our bikes due to the natural, raw finish rather than a painted finish."

This may well be true, but just wondering whether anyone/everyone else's frame do indeed have similar markings, or whether I've been sent something from their "seconds" (i.e. reject) pile?! :cry:

Comments

• dkr17 wrote:
    Anyone out there with a Canyon Ultimate/Aeroad/etc in unpainted grey/black?

I just splashed out on an Ultimate and am disappointed to see blemish (colour variation and markings) on seat tube and down tube. It's not surface damage, it's within the frame material. The rest of the bike is perfect uniform colour.

Canyon say: "The blemishes you are seeing on the bike are simply carbon finishes and are common on a our bikes due to the natural, raw finish rather than a painted finish."

This may well be true, but just wondering whether anyone/everyone else's frame do indeed have similar markings, or whether I've been sent something from their "seconds" (i.e. reject) pile?! :cry:

what part of "unpainted" don't you understand?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It's to be expected with a raw carbon finish.

Comfort yourself that by not having a painted frame you're probably saving 100g or so.
  • I blame Wiggle
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Perfectly normal. My CR1-SL is the same. I like the raw industrial finish. Now with added greasy fingerprints for that 'just got it back from my mechanic mid-race' look

If you want cosmetic perfection, choose a painted frame, and don't inspect it too closely.

Paint is heavy.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ride it fast and nobody can see.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    My Ultimate is the same.
    It also marks easily but it's part and parcel of raw Carbon.
  • As its unpainted it won't have any protective coverings over the carbon, so normal caveats re getting it wet.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As its unpainted it won't have any protective coverings over the carbon,

Not sure why you think that. The UD carbon finish (which is what the OP has) will still have a clear coat, matt, satin or otherwise.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    My Jamis Renegade is the same if that helps.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Imposter wrote:
    As its unpainted it won't have any protective coverings over the carbon,

Not sure why you think that. The UD carbon finish (which is what the OP has) will still have a clear coat, matt, satin or otherwise.

He'll be talking about warp and weft next...
  • amazing how after near on 30 years of carbon fibre being used in fishing rods ive yet to wake up one morning after a heavy rain storm to find my rods in a pile of mush.

Poles are un treated on the inside and the top sections regulalrly spend time immersed in the lake and ive never heard of one delaminating.

People lose the tops and fish them out days later again with out any issue.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I think Matthewfalle was just taking the p1ss.
    But on a more serious note don't take it out in the rain.
  • Alex222 wrote:
    I think Matthewfalle was just taking the p1ss.
    But on a more serious note don't take it out in the rain.
    or on the turbo.