rollemynot
rollemynot Posts: 436
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Ok, so all set for winter riding...

New bike
Mud guards
Lights
Various waterproof garments

Last thing on my list is overshoes... recommendations at about £25 or less?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Rollemynot wrote:
    Ok, so all set for winter riding...

New bike
    Mud guards
    Lights
    Various waterproof garments

Last thing on my list is overshoes... recommendations at about £25?

Have a look at Galibier.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Velotoze
    For £25 you can get 2 pairs,
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Aren't velotoze cold in the winter ? They're just a latex cover no ?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-heavy-duty ... 9164410000

or the planet x have lasted me well :

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/clothing/ ... /overshoes
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Velotoze

You'll need two pairs...........and then another two pairs the month after.....and so on..

Fine for wet spring/summer/autumn races, TTs or simply for posing in. They are not exactly what I would call heavy duty/winter wear though.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Imposter wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Velotoze

You'll need two pairs...........and then another two pairs the month after.....and so on..

Fine for wet spring/summer/autumn races, TTs or simply for posing in. They are not exactly what I would call heavy duty/winter wear though.

I'm still on my first pair and I've had them over a year now.

Did me all last winter and only just starting to see a couple of holes on the toes.
  • GribGrab Orca, half price from Wiggle at £12 - just got some and they look very good - claimed waterproof with external taped joints and fleecy inner. Mind, for a 48 Shimano shoe I needed XXXL. I also have DHB neoprene stuff, which is well made and very warm.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    Planet X for me, velcro rear closure so no breaking zips.....
  • Cheap as chips Planet-X overshoes and some nice merino/ mix socks (Woolie Boolie or similar).
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Same. Planet X overshoes with Seal Skinz-type socks if really wet. The overshoes go over my road and MTB shoes well enough and stay put.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Oh, and if if you want to add extra warmth to the neoprene/ merino combo, buy a cheap pair of Windtex type toe covers- the thin type that just fit over the front of your shoes. I find the socks, the Windtex covers and the neoprene overshoes are good for temps as low as I'm prepared to ride in over winter on the road! When it comes to offroad, I'll revert to the Specialized Defrosters...
  • 2nd on toe-thingies. You can leave them on when taking/putting shoes on/off and keep your feet reasonably dry and warm enough to zero. If you get too warm just pop em in your pocket.
    Proper covers just when its really hammering down.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    PX do a flanders version if its just cold - and you can save the neoprene until it rains.