Bike for turbo trainer

Stuster
Stuster Posts: 33
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi guys

I have a decent bike which has been stuck on a turbo trainer for the last 2 years, but it's now been liberated and taken out on the roads again. Problem is I still need a bike to put on the turbo trainer and I can't be bothered switching rear wheels constantly......

I know all the reasons for not buying a £140 racer, but I'm never going to take it on the road. Given that all it will ever need to do is sit on a turbo trainer and have the pedals and rear wheel spin properly, is there still any reason to be wary of a very very cheap racer? Even the gears and brakes won't need to work.

Cheers

Comments

• If you can replicate your postion on your real bike, on the cheap turbo bike, the drive train works on the turbo bike and it isn't cheap because the frame/stem/bars etc. are knackered and liable to fail on you mid turbo session I can't think why not.
  • You don't even need that.

My old turbo bike was a bike that was given to me for nothing - take off brakes and throw in the bin, leave a bike with working gears and a rear wheel that goes round. They don't even need to be true as it isn't going anyway. Doesn't need brifters or any of that jazz - down tube shifters suffice perfectly.

Ride it into the ground, chuck it away, get the next one.

Even shonkers look quite cool stripped to the bare minimum.

No need to spend more than the price of two new cables and some handle bar tape.

Simples, innit.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.