Thoughts on E scooter?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,874
    edited May 2020
    Cargobike said:

What exactly does an e-scooter offer?

From what I saw in Annecy last year they give the young 'uns a way of buzzing the oldies on the paths. That and clogging up the pavements with the discarded hire ones.

PS - This is what is currently mostly referred to as an e-scooter these days. What is under discussion sounds like something different. #confusing

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,671
    Cargobike said:

You get where you want to be quicker than if you were walking, and don't take up much road space?

Think they are scary to see when they are going at about 30kmh, but generally I'm in favour of them. Unless they are on the pavement.

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

Cargobike said:

You get where you want to be quicker than if you were walking, and don't take up much road space?

Think they are scary to see when they are going at about 30kmh, but generally I'm in favour of them. Unless they are on the pavement.

Er so just bike it ?

• They are currently not street legal, but thanks largely to social media, many wrongly think they are. Just look at how many videos there are on YT with people using them on pavements & cycle paths. This is my current bugbear - high speed ones are ridden recklessly on cycle paths which are intended for non-motorised traffic.

I've seen guys riding the big fast ones on cycle paths, often overtaking fast road bikes. these are not your el-cheapo Chinese import or Lime/Bird rentals. No sir...these are going the same speed as a car. Do we really want to encourage motorised traffic on cycle paths when mopeds which can do the same speed are banned?. Why is it that proponents of these think because they are electric, they are 'magically green' and thus are allowed anywhere?.

Legalising them (thanks Bojo...NOT!!) will only encourage those who have unrestricted models to race along cycle paths. I don't know about you, but I prefer cycle paths with bike son them, not motor traffic. If you want to use these blasted things (which make you look like a mannequin stuck to a plank), stay on the roads.
  • They are currently not street legal but thanks in part to social media, people wrongly think they are. Legalising them will only encourage use of the faster, unrestricted models which can do 30-40mph!. I've seen a bloke on The Bristol Railway Path shooting along on a big one, not your el- cheapo rental job, no sir. This one was going about the same speed as a car, overtaking guys on fast road bikes.

They should be banned from cycle paths IMHO, as they are motorised traffic. Mopeds do the same speed but are banned from cycle paths, so why allow these things?. Plus, they look decidedly un-cool to me.....like a mannequin stuck on a plank:).

Motorised traffic belongs on roads.
  • fenix
    If they aren't street legal I guess they're not legal on cycle paths ?

Probably just a matter of time before the owner wipes himself out - let's hope he doesn't injure anyone else along the way.
  • kingstongraham
    fenix said:

Probably just a matter of time before the owner wipes himself out - let's hope he doesn't injure anyone else along the way.

Rental ones are about to become legal (possibly this month).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-billion-package-to-create-new-era-for-cycling-and-walking

• fenix said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-billion-package-to-create-new-era-for-cycling-and-walking

This is what I mean about giving an inch & taking a yard. People think 'trials' means they are legal!. As far as I know, the trials haven't even started and I got into an argument on YT with some fool who said that they're legal on pavements and who pointed me in the direction of that same page!!. Didn't like it when I reminded him they aren't legal.
  • kingstongraham
    Given that the trials have been extended to allow every region in the whole country to participate rather than only 4 regions because of the pandemic, I think that counts as them about to become legal. But only rental ones, not privately owned.
  • fenix

fenix said:

The poster was talking about scooters as fast as a car though ?
    Surely these e scooters will be limited to the same as e bikes ?
  • pblakeney
    fenix said:

fenix said:

Only the legal ones. Similar to ebikes, some of which go much faster than intended.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    fenix said:

fenix said:

Same or slightly slower. Don't see the problem with them on roads or cycle paths to be honest.
  • I recall seeing an interview on ITV news prior to the pandemic with a guy who was selling fast unrestricted models and he did some rear-end covering for himself by saying that they're only legal on private land. So right, someone buying one of these off him and who lives in a tower block, they're really going to follow that guidance....aren't they?.

IMHO, legalising the smaller ones will encourage use of faster models and who is policing this?. Some I have seen on cycle paths are on bigger, faster versions that are definitely unrestricted.

Why are we contemplating allowing motorised traffic into a space for non-motorised?. The original 'go-ped' is basically just a petrol version but they're prohibited. Switch to electric, but keep the speed & people think its fine to ride them on pavements & cycle paths.

Why are 30mph mopeds banned but e-scooters (lets be honest here: people will go with the faster ones) are getting the green light?.

People are currently using these illegally with the attitude of 'Sod the rules, I want to use my toy' thus putting their own convenience first. Do the Govt really think restricting them will have any effect?.

I see problems ahead from the Tories who don't really think things through, especially blond mop-head. Expect your cycle path to become a 'road' for electric transport.
  • pblakeney

Expect your cycle path to become a 'road' for electric transport.

I have seen this first hand in Annecy last summer. Best get used to going on the road to avoid them in the future.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    They don't take up more space than someone pootling at 5mph on a bike do they?
  • They don't take up more space than someone pootling at 5mph on a bike do they?

It's not about space but riding skill, speed, attitude etc. I've seen users undertake slower cyclists simply because they can...I don't really want cycle paths to become roads for unrestricted e-scooters, e-skateboards and those daft e-wheels (not 'hoverboards').

I have seen : no shoulder checking overtaking, no indicating, undertaking, swerving to avoid potholes (my bike copes with them easily), swerving into cycle lanes in front of me (some bikers do that!) & the unrestricted models speeding -one guy was overtaking blokes on fast road bikes who were going at speed too. 15mph won't allow you to do that.

Kind of defeats the whole idea of having a space set aside for non-motor traffic by allowing motor traffic on it?. plus, they'll be all over pavements too. I shudder at the thought of being blind, partially sighted or elderly in that respect. Cyclist get a lot of flack about riding on pavements & I see e-scooters all over them.
  • Forgot to ask everyone...what happens with e-scooters in mandatory cycle lanes?. They are technically motorised transport like an e-moped.
  • Cargobike
    Cargobike Posts: 748
    I doubt they will be a long term detriment.
    Just like the electric bikes they put in Derby 18 months ago or all the Ofo bikes that popped up last year they'll be deemed a public nuisance or be lobbed in the local canal or river.
    The yobbish British youth will ensure that it is a short lived experiment.
  • Cargobike said:

I doubt they will be a long term detriment.
    Just like the electric bikes they put in Derby 18 months ago or all the Ofo bikes that popped up last year they'll be deemed a public nuisance or be lobbed in the local canal or river.
    The yobbish British youth will ensure that it is a short lived experiment.

I read that the Parisian authorities are now fishing them out of the Seine on a regular basis.
  • kingstongraham

Forgot to ask everyone...what happens with e-scooters in mandatory cycle lanes?. They are technically motorised transport like an e-moped.

or an e-bike.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    People on a cycling forum may disagree
  • pblakeney

People on a cycling forum may disagree

And that's before you get to the spelling...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Smells like some form of spiced ham to me.
  • pblakeney
    Bad spelling corrected and spam link added.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

And now gone like it were never here.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

And now gone like it were never here.
    Killed off by the spam flags I'd imagine.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • They've been trialling Voi e scooters in Cambridge for a while now. I haven't tried one but might if I needed to get somewhere more quickly than I could by walking, and didn't have a bike. I've spoken to a couple of people who've used one on that basis, and both said they're tricky things to handle, due to the small wheels and relatively narrow handlebars. One pointed out that to indicate right you have to take your hand off the throttle, so you instantly lose power and slow down dramatically, which isn't ideal.

The main problem seems to be the way they're ridden by a lot of users, ie very badly. On pavements, through red lights, two or even three people on one scooter, etc. Plus, as people have pointed out, there are the privately owned ones, which are not currently legal at all, much less at the higher speeds they seem to be going. So from a cyclists point of view, not a good thing. Motorists in Cambridge already hate cyclists, and seem, if you read comments on the Cambridge News site, to lump scooter riders in with cyclists, eg "Saw someone on an e scooter (insert horrendous behaviour) - typical cyclist!"

I've also seen powered skateboards whizzing along at an impressive lick, and a while ago something which was basically a single, central wheel with a sort of step either side for the feet, flying along a cycleway at at least 30mph. I must admit it looked pretty cool, but I wouldn't like to have one overtake me while I was cycling.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    pblakeney said:

So are these people making seemingly innocuous posts, then adding the spam link later? Makes my comment look a little odd now.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

So are these people making seemingly innocuous posts, then adding the spam link later? Makes my comment look a little odd now.
    Yes, and likewise...

Re motorists, as I've said upthread if you've been anywhere that these things are widely used then motorists will be looking back wistfully to the days when they only had cyclists to moan about.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Thoughts on an e-scooter.

Bach's much maligned follow-up to Air on a G string.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk