Padded saddle recommendations?

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Morning everyone,

I was having a lot of discomfort on a range of saddles - I would get a lot of swelling around my right hand sitbone following any length of ride. After an MRI, its been diagnosed as fat necrosis....which more or less equates to tissue around my sit bone being constantly aggravated....theres not much they can do about it.

While waiting for the MRI (for 3 months) I've managed to keep cycling by using a massive comfort saddle from Decathlon, its designed for a more upright position....and its a bit clunky looking on the road bike - it has done a job to keep me going, but I would like to get something a bit more road focused.
My favourite saddle was the specialized power saddle which I thought was great....but thats the one that I started getting the problems with!

Has anyone any recommendations for a saddle that will allow the normal type of road bike position with a good amount of padding? I was thinking of going down the custom route (geboMized), but they are seriously expensive.
Another option might be the ISM range of saddles which seem to get good reviews, but they tend to focus more on stopping any perineum pain rather than relieving pressure around the sit bone area.

Any recommendations or ideas most welcome.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Good padded shorts will likely serve you better.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Good padded shorts will likely serve you better.

I tried the thickest comfort versions available from assos and sportful....even doubled up to see if it would help.

No good.

Only solution seems to be to eliminate the aggravation in the first place rather than trying to protect against it.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Rido used to make a range of saddles designed to eliminate sit bone pain

It might sound counter intuitive but have you considered a brooks leather saddle ?- the saddle 'gives' as a whole and moulds to the shape of your backside.

I was off the bike for 3 years with ass pain - chamois cream, and a brooks saddle helped me.

You might also want to google reskin patches - which I was about to try - but the brooks and cream combo get me sorted*

*actually it wasn't that what got me sorted alone - search my posts if you want the whole sorry saga !
  • Thanks a lot for the info, I'll take a look through your posts!

Yes a brooks is definitely on the shortlist too, it's so hard to know without trying one, I'm weighing up an original against the newer cambium....I like the fact it looks more like a standard road saddle.
  • kingrollo
    bsharp77 wrote:
    Thanks a lot for the info, I'll take a look through your posts!

Yes a brooks is definitely on the shortlist too, it's so hard to know without trying one, I'm weighing up an original against the newer cambium....I like the fact it looks more like a standard road saddle.

I went for the B17 imperial as it has a cut out which is supposed to help blood flow in that area. I did think if a leather saddle helps I would upgrade to the team pro - but having found something that works I am a bit reluctant to change now

You can get the B17 & B17 imperial for around £70 on amazon - if it doesn't work out I am sure you sell it on for a compable cost.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you really can't resolve the sitbone problem there's always the weird and wonderful world of recumbents to explore. Climbing may be compromised, but seating comfort, straight line speed and luggage carrying capacity can be impressive.
  • Thanks Kingrollo - just put an order in for a Team Pro Imperial last night - so fingers crossed it will be my last saddle purchase for a long time!
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Sure your seats enough? You really should be more perched that sat.
  • kingrollo
    keef66 wrote:
    If you really can't resolve the sitbone problem there's always the weird and wonderful world of recumbents to explore. Climbing may be compromised, but seating comfort, straight line speed and luggage carrying capacity can be impressive.

I rode a recumbent for a couple years after similar problems to the OP.
    lots of misconceptions about them - I got up hills ok - and there are some sporty recumbents with 700c wheels - going down hill on a recumbent is serious fun - they are not a difficult to ride as you first think - took me about an hour to get to grips with it...
    Definitely an option.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I still hanker after one. And a Brompton. And a steel tourer. And possibly a carbon gravel bike. And a bigger garage.....
  • Fabric Scoop Gel