Sizing buying internet

Martylou
Martylou Posts: 34
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all ... Thinking of new frameset for a winter build
S.works tarmac , but not sure on sizing between a 52 or 54 frame size according to s.works chart I'm a 54 but have been told that maybe to big for me !!.

.I'm 172cm tall .. 31 inside leg going by spirit level against wall method , if buying off the internet need to get right ...Any one similar height and bike would be greatly appreciated on any info ...

Cheers all

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    S-Works Tarmac for a winter bike?

Wind-up??
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Di2 Dura Ace or Etap?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Svetty wrote:

Wind-up??

Try reading the post !! For a winter build !
  • think the point was missed!
  • Stack and reach.
  • trivial_poursuivant
    trivial_poursuivant Posts: 1,136
    edited September 2017
    I presume you mean a winter project ready for next year!!

If you can't get chance to sit on one somewhere I would err on the side of caution and go for the smaller. You can always open it out with longer stem etc. A frame that's too big will always be too big. Many pro's ride smaller frames than what is probably the recommended if you went on the website and use 120mm + stems to make them fit.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stack and reach.

as above, you must have a current bike? measure and apply to the S-Works
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Martylou wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Wind-up??

You really can't see that your initial posting was somewhat ambiguous and thus open to being interpreted in more than one way?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I'm 173 with 32 inside leg and I ride a 54 Tarmac comfortably.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Svetty wrote:
    Martylou wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

Wind-up??

You really can't see that your initial posting was somewhat ambiguous and thus open to being interpreted in more than one way?

If it's any consolation I read it the same way as you. But I thought if somebody wants to ride a Tarmac through the winter it's up to them.

Anyway, if you can't get to sit on the thing somewhere I'd agree that you should go for the 52.

Not sure I'd be basing that kind of spending decision based on advice from random internet folk though...
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    There is no point asking other people on here. Some like to ride with their handlebars higher than their saddle, and others like a drop like a pro, and both will say '52 fits comfortably'. What does comfortably mean?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's s works shops who should be able to help you ? Worth getting it right if it's a big spend.