cycling shoe alternatives

holly007
holly007 Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in Road beginners
I have started road/ gravel riding this year but I am not interested yet in purchasing cycling shoes. Are there any running shoes or trail shoes that would work . I am riding around 50-60 miles and week and I am looking for a different option

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    As long as you have reasonably supportive pedals I'd have thought anything with a sole that's not too thin, soft or bendy would do the job. No personal recommendation though; I've been using bike specific shoes for 15 years...
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    You can wear any shoes for cycling if you have flat pedals.
    I used to ride in some trainers that had quite hard soles - I think they were Lonsdale - and they were fine.

Running shoes would probably have softer soles so may not be ideal, but in some short triathlons, the competitors do the bike leg in their running shoes to avoid having to change.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    I'd thoroughly recommend 5-10s and long pin flat pedals. They just work so much better than regular trainers.
    Pro DH/Enduro riders use them and have good success. Plus I think they look fairly good, but that's up to you.

prod132479%5Fimagetag%5F1?$PDPEmbedded$

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/five-ten-freerider-canvas-mtb-shoes-2017/rp-prod132479
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nukeproof-neutron-evo-electron-evo-flat-pedals/rp-prod122950
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I like trail shoes - they tend to be stiffer than road shoes with a sole that's often lugged. And usually cheaper than road running shoes.

Adidas Kanadia for one. They can be had very reasonably.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I ride my mtb on 5:10s like the ones above. Stiff soles and great with spiked pedals. They are not cheap though - you may as well go with some SPD/clipless.

When I first dusted off my old mtb years ago though I didn't want to spend any money before I worked out whether I liked it. For those first couple of months I used my Salomon XA pro trail shoes. Not as stiff a sole but nice and grippy. They'd be fine for an hour or so but your feet would ache after that.
  • Agreed with a lot of what already been said. 5:10's also for me for general MTB duties. When I do multi-day bike packing I do use Salomon Speed Cross (normal trial / running shoes) and these also work absolutely fine. They tend to be better for wearing with normal clothes down the pub etc.
    If using flat pedals, especially for gravel riding where you could be more prone to losing your grip on the pedal, its worth investing in a decent set of grippy pedals. A relatively cheap option are Shimano Saint MX80. After the 10th time of your foot slipping from the pedal and you get smacked in the shin, you'll thank me for that advice!
  • I use Karrimor walking shoes on flat pedals when i go out on my hybrid this time of year. Stiff soles and they are waterproof and warm. They are about £30 from Sports Direct.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I use salamon speedcross 3 with theese pedals & they are fine.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-ct-lite-commuter-pedals.

Then i can cycle & run mountains etc.

5:10s are not good for trail running only good for for cycling.

Also I don't like pinned mtb pedals they seem to damage soles eventually.