Mudguards for 2014 Giant Defy

pastie
pastie Posts: 43
edited September 2017 in Road buying advice
I previously used the giant specific mudguards, but they need replaced. Options are giant speedshield or race blade longs. Anybody got advice on what works well? I need full guards.

Comments

• gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    I use Cruds on my older Defy, the new Roadracer 3's look pretty good and you can get them off for cleaning easier than the 2's I have.

I used to have the Defy specific mudguards on an old bike and they were terrible, rattled around like mad to the point my regular riding buddies didn't want to go out with me unless I took them off. No amount of fiddling made any difference at all. I very recently had a conversation in my local Giant concept store with a guy in there who's advice is usually spot on and he basically told me that whatever I was going to use would be a compromise of some sort. He said they always have to fiddle/amend some part of any mudguard fixing to make them fit as well as possible.

FWIW I'm on an XL frame so nothing fits anyway. Cruds are the best of a bad bunch, quite light and plastic so the noise isn't too annoying. Tyre clearance is an issue though, restricted to 23mm only.
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Giant ones again? Mine fit and are rock solid (unlike many plastic generic ones).

I have broken one giant rear guard, as the brake bridge bracket broke. So I have a spare front guard if you need it!!
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    I've got giant specific on my 2012 defy 2, they are ok, was looking to get some for my composite 2 for winter club rides. I'm the other end of the scale, size S...
  • chaymck wrote:
    I have broken one giant rear guard, as the brake bridge bracket broke. So I have a spare front guard if you need it!!

Yep, I broke two sets. I bought the Defy as a winter bike as it could "take" full guards. Two sets in and I ended up selling it to buy a proper winter bike that could take guards - Kinesis.

Nice bike though, although not entirely sold on the sloping top tube..
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I'm also seriously considering mudguards on my 2016 Defy 2, but I'm unsure if the Giant mudguards will work, and even less if anything will fit between the brakes (upgraded to 105 5800) and the tyres (25c Michelin Pro4 Endurance v2, which are close to 28mm wide). Too many family duties to ride with a club, though, so I may stay put for yet another winter.
  • chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    I can only fit 23mm gator skins under mine.

25mm rubbed on rear.
  • Thanks for advice. Doesn't look like there's ideal solution (like most mudguard questions!). I've ordered the speedshields & will feed back when / if fitted :?