29er Road Tyres

DaveyO
DaveyO Posts: 37
edited September 2017 in MTB beginners
Managed to source an MTB for commuting over the winter.
For the meantime, with the roads being predominantly wet and slippy at the moment, could anyone recommend a set of road tyres . I'm looking for something that will roll well but most importantly have good wet grip ability. Longevity isn't so much of a problem, would rather have excellent wet grip especially in the wetter wether.

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    What tyres are currently on the bike?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • you can fit a tubeless road tyre to narrower MTB rims. I would use IRC tyres but I am biased.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they are narrow XC rims you can fit pretty much any 700c road tyre you want, my Hybrid uses 29er XC rimsa nd I'm running 700x28C slicks, Conti' Ultrasport in my case, fast rolling, 'OK' puncture protection, decent grip in the wet and dry and a quiet and reasonably compliant ride. You could go for a 32 or 35mm slick if you want a little more width and give.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I'm running Vittoria Voyager Hyper in 32mm on Blunt SL 29er rims on my CX bike. Roll easily and grip seems good enough for me.
  • Thanks for the replies. Current tyres are Schwalbe Smart Sam, Active's. The Vittoria's look like they could fit the job.