Street Parking an expensive ebike in London?

biggerbyfar
biggerbyfar Posts: 3
edited October 2017 in Commuting general
I'm eyeing up a Trek Super Commuter 8 or 9, which comes in at £3800-4000. I can vaguely justify this to my self by breaking even in under 18months compared to train travel costs, which sometimes also involes TFL hire bike cost at £2 per day. My current commute would be 12 miles each way. The problem is that I don't have a secure parking option at my temporary place of work, which is one of big London Rail Stations

Am I insane to consider parking this kind of bike with a couple of meaty locks on a public bike rack? I'm think of insuring it, sticking a Tile and a gps tracker on it and seeing how it goes....

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You are joking...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    12 miles each way isn't that far. How about using a normal bike and easing your way into the commute ? You could start with 2 days a week and build up to 4 or 5 ?

You'll still save a packet without paying out the cost of a car.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I doubt it will last out the first day.

12 miles pedaling yourself is far from hard, get a used decent quality hybrid and make it look as shabby as possible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    The Rookie wrote:
    make it look as shabby as possible.

If it lasts a couple of months without being nicked, it will naturally look as shabby as possible .... Commuting kills bikes, no way would I ride a £4k bike on my commute even if I had fort Knox to lock it up in. :mrgreen:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    fat daddy wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

If it lasts a couple of months without being nicked, it will naturally look as shabby as possible .... Commuting kills bikes, no way would I ride a £4k bike on my commute even if I had fort Knox to lock it up in. :mrgreen:

Oh I dunno ... I quite like riding my best bike (still nowhere near 4k) in to work ... but I have no concerns about security as I bring it into my own office ...
    Commuting only wears out bikes if you don't clean them frequently.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Does anyone in the area offer secure parking ? I've seen places in Salford that do it.
  • The Rookie
    fat daddy wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

My commuter has just passed it's one year point and 1280miles, still looks immaculate. Guess it depends on how much care you take of it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sounds like a new thing for you to commute by bike - hence the e-bike. is it worthwhile getting a cheaper one to see how it goes? Giant and trek do hybrids with e-assist that are half that price and maybe less desirable.

On the other hand that bike costs less than a motorbike and lots of us leave those locked up on the street. Check out NCP and QPark carparks for a little more security.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    The Rookie wrote:
    My commuter has just passed it's one year point and 1280miles, still looks immaculate. Guess it depends on how much care you take of it.

yeah mine looked fine after 1280 miles as well ..... well apart from the cycle lock up chips and scrapes thanks to my colleagues
  • The Rookie
    fat daddy wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

yeah mine looked fine after 1280 miles as well ..... well apart from the cycle lock up chips and scrapes thanks to my colleagues
    None of those either!
  • Fenix wrote:

For £49 in central London, that would be worth it if it was close to your work and you could store clothes there as well.
  • I guess I'll have to see the bike in the flesh and work out how eye-catching it is, or isn't.

Meanwhile it looks like the was some secure bike parking available through the office after all.

I used to commute 5-6 miles and sometimes it felt like a bit of an ordeal, the electric element was supposed to make it more fun and less likely to rock up wide-eyed and dripping.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I guess I'll have to see the bike in the flesh and work out how eye-catching it is, or isn't.

Meanwhile it looks like the was some secure bike parking available through the office after all.

I used to commute 5-6 miles and sometimes it felt like a bit of an ordeal, the electric element was supposed to make it more fun and less likely to rock up wide-eyed and dripping.

You need to ride a bit more often then, 5-6 miles is just about a warm up and 10 - 12 miles is generably considered a comfortable commute - assuming it's not up over a mountain ;)

I can (just) recall riding the 9 miles to my girlfriends house for the first time many many moons ago - thinking 'phew that was hard work' - but it was only hard work because I was pushing the pace the whole way. Dispite the gap of not riding for too many years I can do that route far easier now and think nothing of doing 2, 3 times that distance.

And that's not just racing snakes either - I know a "larger" person who used to struggle to do 5 miles who regularly knocks out 15+ miles at a faster pace - still able to talk at the end...

But you do need to want to do it. If you're just seeing cycling as a method of transport to/from work then (IMHO) you're not ready - you need to enjoy the ride or enjoy having done the ride first.
  • To be fair, commuting through London is an ordeal at times. I never considered commuting in Central London to be enjoyable, until I made it to the outskirts and away from the traffic.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Sobering reading. I can't see a 4 grand bike lasting long.
  • Can I suggest a cheap Halfords lock and letting me know where you are locking it up? I'll look after it for you honest injun! :D

Got to be a wind up. Who's set up another screen name then? Come on own up.
  • gor for a folding e-bike and take it into your place of work?
    MTB: Giant Trance X2 2009 (yes, its a 26er. For twisty singletrack in woburn woods, it still rocks)
    road: specialized tricross elite 2011
    hybrid: giant roam 0 2014
    garaged project: gt tempest 1998
    borrowed: whoosh sirocco cdl e-bike