Ireland equivalent of a JOGLE? Where can I find one?

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited October 2017 in Tour & expedition
I had been wondering about doing a JOGLE next year but don't think I can fit it in around family stuff etc. However, I suspect that there may be time for something similar in Ireland. I know of the existence of the Wild Atlantic Way, but at 2500km, I think that might end up being a fair bit further and longer than a JOGLE! Does anybody know whether there is an equivalent route, or have any idea how I might go about planning one?
Thanks...

Comments

• sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    i believe the route your looking for is Mizen head to Malin head although there would seem to be lots if variations of the route.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The roads and weather in Ireland can be brutal, i mountain bike there in the SW, just be prepared.
  • As others have said Malin to Mizen is the answer although it's obviously much shorter. The owner of a local bike shop did a non stop Malin to Mizen to Malin recently.

The Wild Atlantic Way is pretty spectacular and you can do as much or little as you wish. The roads around that area would be fairly quiet, but be prepared for world class rain and potholes.

I wanted to do some of it this year (I live fairly close), but the problem was the lack of public transport to get to the start and finish so I cycled across Wales instead.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Thanks for these. I'll follow up the Malin Mazen idea - it sounds as though this is an excuse to get back to the maps and plan something out. I think, as a couple of you have suggested that I'm going to need to be flexible about when I go though, to try to maximise the chance of good weather!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    Earlier this year, my wife and I resolved to cycle the whole coast of Ireland. Naturally, time constraints meant that we would have to do this in 4 or possibly 5 visits.

In June we went from Cork to Dublin. Dublin to Cork was our original intention but logistically it made more sense to take ferry to Dublin, train to Cork and then go anticlockwise around the South East corner (beautiful). Doing about 50-60 miles a day, we simply used Air B'n'b for all accommodation - we also had unbeleivably great weather.

Next year we will do Cork and up the west coast following the Wild Atlantic Way, although how far along it we're not sure (if cycling around the various peninsulas on the West side, North/South progress will be obviously slower).

The main logistical problem for us was/is getting the bikes from the arrival point (Port of Dublin) to the start of cycling and then from the finishing point to the point of departure (in our case, port of Dublin again as car left at Holyhead).

The most obvious way of doing this is by train but you must book your bikes on to the train (two spaces seems all some of them have). There is also a £10 or £20 surcharge for bikes on the ferry which buys you a place leaning up against the bins on the car deck.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Surely you need to go from Bantry Bay to Derry Quay? Possibly via Galway and Dublin Town?
  • Malin to Mizen sounds like a great challenge. Never thought about crossing Ireland would be a great one and probably nicer scenery if you go along the west coast I'd assume.... I was hoping to cycle to Dingle this year but got to Cork myself. Hope the journey goes well.